Chasing Referees

Thales

I'm finding myself chasing one of my (final) recommenders. Moreover, application deadlines are fast approaching.

Anyone have any insights on how to deal with such a circumstance?

Edited by Thales

Thales, I will respond to your query -- happily.

You're looking at the endgame right now. The trajectory of your life depends on this person. This is, as they say, kind of a big deal. Hence, I would recommend at least a few attempts at strongarming him/her. A friendly phone call will do wonders, in addition to email. Phone calls put people on spots. They can't flag your email for another date when they are actually speaking with you. It is a none-too-subtle reminder for them to get on the ball.

Should this not work, a minor escalation of pressure may be in order. Start calling and then hang up when they answer. Do this a few times. They will get the "message". Trust me. Go by their office, if you can, and leave messages under their office door. I find "countdown messages" work well -- "15 days until the deadline for University of X", etc. Do this dutifully every morning at the crack of dawn.

I have more suggestions for "nudges" of these sort. PM me if interested.

Edited by Ferrero

Ferrero, thanks for your reply.

Though, I'm not certain if part of what you are suggesting is to be taken in jest. These seem almost like hilarious ways to nudge a recommender (calling and hanging up?).

I'll start with the incessant emails, and if in a few days that doesn't work I'll upgrade to the surrepititiously placed notes under the door.

Thanks again!