Languages & Community College

tylermpearson

Hi! I'm applying to direct entry PhD programs this December. Considering my French is tres pathétique, I'm planning on taking a language course this fall. My options are the local community college and a decent university down the road, the former obviously being the less expensive of the two. 

I know which my wallet would prefer, and I'm aware of, in modern parlance, how bourgeois I'm about to seem... but for something as basic as an introductory language course, on paper, does the school matter?

Many thanks!

Languages are a vital part of research. However, I think this is something you may want to ask your academic advisors or potential graduate programs about. I came in with all my languages done, which was quite a nice feeling! But, your time could also be spent on really sharpening up your application materials. I can say that I was one of a few who had both languages taken care of. Most only have/had 1.Another option that might be better for you is applying to MA programs. Most of the "top 10" really want you to have a MA (if going to one of those is indeed your goal) and the language background. Most of the next 10-30 schools often are in that tier because of a strain of financial resources. Hence, language study will make your time at the program potentially longer.....use up more funding...etc.

On a second thought, I don't think 1 summer term of language is enough to get your research really going (again, this depends upon your area). I think most people begin to feel confident with 2-3 years of study. I think a MA program might be your best bet.

@betsy303 Thanks so much for your reply! I'm in a tricky spot because I came to this decision a little late in the game. Unfortunately, cost is a huge issue, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to independently compensate for those important things that I lack. To be clear, I'm also applying to MA programs, I'm just aware that there's little to no funding available and that I might not be able to attend. 

Thanks again!

No one cares where you do your language training. They care that you have it. Provided that the community college program is as rigorous as the program at the more prestigious school, go with that. Summer is the perfect time to brush up your language skills, and, pace betsy303, you can learn quite a bit during that time. The better your language skills are, the better your chances are getting in somewhere. 

1 hour ago, condivi said:

No one cares where you do your language training. They care that you have it. Provided that the community college program is as rigorous as the program at the more prestigious school, go with that. Summer is the perfect time to brush up your language skills, and, pace betsy303, you can learn quite a bit during that time. The better your language skills are, the better your chances are getting in somewhere. 

Key term here is "provided that the community college program is as rigorous." It really depends upon the program. At mine, if you had 3 years (6 semesters) of a language at a university and/or college with a grade of B+ or higher, it counted. Others, I don't think are as generous....

When faced with a "not as rigorous" option for the beginning level of moderately easy languages, one thing I have done is to self-study a "semester's worth" and then jump in to the next semester of the sequence. Even if the class is moving a little slowly, then, I'm still working on catching up, so it comes out to a fairly quick pace of language learning.

And I get the impression that this is less of an issue for other people, but having taken ≤2 semesters of four or five languages, I am also just so incredibly over the "And what did you have for breakfast this morning, fellow student?" "I ate oatmeal for breakfast this morning. What did you have for breakfast this morning, fellow student?" "I ate an egg for breakfast this morning, fellow student." type of practice conversation, so whenever I've had to start languages from scratch, reducing my exposure to that kind of dialogue helps preserve my sanity.

13 hours ago, knp said:

And I get the impression that this is less of an issue for other people, but having taken ≤2 semesters of four or five languages, I am also just so incredibly over the "And what did you have for breakfast this morning, fellow student?" "I ate oatmeal for breakfast this morning. What did you have for breakfast this morning, fellow student?" "I ate an egg for breakfast this morning, fellow student." type of practice conversation, so whenever I've had to start languages from scratch, reducing my exposure to that kind of dialogue helps preserve my sanity.

Preach it, friend.

20 hours ago, knp said:

My former thesis committee chair actually recommended I try and take a language translation course as opposed to a general speaking course (I'm proficient in French, but have only one year of German).  You can bypass all the "where is the library" stuff - though you might want to do some of the self-study knp mentioned for basic grammar, conjugation, etc. if it is your first foray into a particular language.

It's true that no one on an admissions committee will care where you did your language training; they just want to see that you can make use of the language for research purposes. It's good if you can demonstrate, in your writing sample, that you have drawn on sources in other languages. Some programs offer "German [or whatever] for Reading" courses, which would serve your purposes well. Good luck!