SLP grad programs: Low GPA and Low GRE

Ohhoneybear

Question

Hello! I am actually on this board in regards to my best friend who is interested in applying for SLP and if I could get some answers for her, I would appreciate it.

She went to a small school (along with me), and she created her own major in human services (much like social work, basically). She did not take any SLP courses, and just recently decided that was her dream career. She graduated from college this past May with a Bachelor's. Now, this coming Fall, she is doing a post-bac program at East Stroudsburg University, where she is going to take a year of SLP under-graduate courses. 

Her college GPA was exactly a 3.0, mainly due to the fact that she did not try and slacked... I am trying to tell her that with that low of a GPA, it's incredibly hard to get into a school. She transferred schools 3 times, and she doesn't really have a strong connection with her professors (I was in a few classes of hers), so I don't know what she will do about recommendations. 

Her GRE scores are pretty low as well, and she was not heavily involved in any clubs at school. 

I want her to go after her dreams, but is it too hard for her to get in? I want to ask people that know a lot about this topic, because I personally do not. Any help or advice would be appreciated..

1 answer to this question

Hi, I'm applying to SLP as well, with a similar GPA to your friend. While I can't give any advice on if it's possible or not for us to get in, I can speak as someone like her.

It'll be harder for folks like her and I (I too was a slacker for a while longer than was good for me), but it definitely seems like it should be possible to get in somewhere.

Additionally, she's starting a new thing now. Schools look a LOT at your in-field courses. As long as she works really hard at the SLP courses over the next year, makes good connections to her new professors, and really sells it that she's a worthwhile candidate in this field, she'll have a lot better chance.

She should also probably take the GRE again if her scores are "bad".

You're a good friend for wanting to help her out like this.