Excessive-Obsessive GRE worries in P Theory

hobbeslocke

Um... the math on the GRE isn't that easy. It has math that runs through Algebra II, which, as I recall, is taught in high school.

Yes, but the nice part about the quantitative section is that you can easily learn all of the math needed. On my first practice exam I got a 510 because I didn't remember the math rules. After simply learning all of the rules (maybe a week) that I had forgotten since high school I jumped to the 700s. By practicing the pacing and learning those goofy exam strategies, I ended up with a 780.

So, while it sucks that you have to jump this arbitrary hurdle, at least you know what needs to be done to become competitive for next year. Much easier to make up for a low gre quant than a low GPA.

Yes, but the nice part about the quantitative section is that you can easily learn all of the math needed. On my first practice exam I got a 510 because I didn't remember the math rules. After simply learning all of the rules (maybe a week) that I had forgotten since high school I jumped to the 700s. By practicing the pacing and learning those goofy exam strategies, I ended up with a 780.

So, while it sucks that you have to jump this arbitrary hurdle, at least you know what needs to be done to become competitive for next year. Much easier to make up for a low gre quant than a low GPA.

I know all this, believe me. I just didn't think I had to play by the same rules as everyone else, I thought my GPA and coursework would carry me. I bought into the whole "Oh, we review applications holistically." Holistic my ass. It's all a game, you know? So I know better next time. No one's telling me anything I don't know. I'm going into an MA program, so I'll take the GRE again when I apply for the Ph.D. This time I'll be a little more humble.

High GRE will do you no harm, but lower GRE might do some damage.

The reality is simple: getting accepted into any graduate program is an unpredictable process. Thus, you need all ammunition you can get.

It is better to retake GRE now than be rejected by a graduate school of your choice and be forced to reapply next year.