if Jan 1 is the deadline can I submit ON the 1st?

George

I saw another topic here in which the person says their school specifically says BEFORE Jan 1, but mine doesn't.

From my understanding if it's due on Jan 1st that means it needs to be in before midnight on that date. However some schools have more specific deadlines - ie 5 pm on January 1st, or as you stated when some say Jan 1st they mean 11:59pm Dec 31st is the latest, still others mean it has to be postmarked by Jan 1st. This is something you'll have to email the department about if you're planning on cutting it close.

Hey George,

I have a 1/1 deadline and my online application is already in, though I would imagine I have until Midnight on January 1 to turn everything in online. (I hear things tend to get backed up around midnight, though, so safe guard against that.)

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get my writing sample re-typed for the 5pm deadline. (Lost any electronic copies and editing and retyping based on the print out I (thankfully!!) still have.) Anyway, I am putting my supplemental materials in the mail tomorrow. So be it!

I was venting to a friend about this and she had the most brilliant idea of all time. She said to go online and print out a FedEx shipping label tonight. I might be dropping it in the mail tomorrow, but it will be post dated for January 1!

Hope that helps. Good luck. It will all be over soon enough.

I went to bed on Dec 14th freaked out about this!

But I can assure that if it just says Jan 1, then that means 11:59 on Jan 1, not Dec 31.

Princeton's final deadline is Dec 31. I received this in an email from them:

If you have not yet submitted your electronic application please note that the application will be turned off at 11:59 PM EST on December 31, 2009. Applicants who wait till the very last minute could encounter heavy internet traffic and run the risk of missing the deadline. DO NOT wait to submit your application as we are unable to turn the system back on and we DO NOT accept late applications.

Also, both the applications I submitted on Dec 15 for that deadline were marked as successful. So, yeah double check for specifics but you should be fine.

Thank you all for your replies! I ended up submitting the application last night with plenty of time before midnight. I didn't want to take the risk. I had worked on it enough already... just not as much as I would have liked to.