"major extracurricular activities"

KieBelle

I'm attempting to fill out a supplemental department questions form (which is SO poorly designed I'm about ready to give up) and one field asks me to "Please list your major extracurricular activities, which would include volunteer work and offices held" followed by a little tiny box. :huh: The main application has an entire section devoted to work experience and I also have to submit a CV/resume, so I'm confused about what, exactly, I'm supposed to put in this (rather small) box. I cannot possibly fit all my work/volunteer experience in it. I'm not sure what they mean by "offices held" (this isn't for a political science degree!). I doubt they're asking for my hobbies. Perhaps I'm being totally dense, but if someone could please interpret this sentence for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I had a similar question on one of my applications. I assumed they were asking for campus involvement (sports, clubs, organizations, ect.) with the "major activities" part, and I, too, think they're referring to clubs/organizations/student government with the "offices held" part.

I was actually slightly annoyed by the question because I've been out of college for 11 years, and I can barely remember everything I was involved in while in college! Not to mention it's not really relevant to my life anymore. But I've done a bunch of volunteer work in various countries since college, so I briefly discussed that since it isn't on my resume.

I do think if you are in college now or have graduated recently and were really involved in a lot of things at your school, it's a great opportunity to show off how well-rounded you are, because a lot of applications really don't ask about that stuff.

On a similar form, I put in membership in various organizations (mentioning that I was on the board of directors or on such-and-such a committee) and volunteer positions. Just bullets, and only those things I thought relevant. I've been out of school for many years and therefore focused on my professional and personal activities.

ditto to above. i cut and pasted one or two bullets from my CV and then said "see attached". I cannot imagine anyone cares at this level, though. I mean does anyone think my sorority functions will make me a stellar scholar? And if its that major -- starting a non-profit or something -- then it for dang sure isn't going to be relegated to a little box.