Where to improve my application

Legend111

Hello all,

Last application cycle I applied to three MS programs in I/O psychology and was waitlisted in one, accepted in another (without funding), and out-right rejected by the other.  Outside of taking and studying for the gre, I was able to gather my application materials in a matter of three weeks (mostly due to a last minute decision of applying).  I ended up accepting the offer from the program that accepted me, but now I likely going to withdraw my acceptance because I cannot see myself leaving everything behind and moving to the area where the school is located.  I want to avoid relocating and want to aim for a school that is a little more competitive.

To give a little background, I have been working full-time for the past four years since I graduated in 2012 in sales, recruiting, and HR type roles.  My undergrad GPA was 3.7 and my gre scores were: 152 v, 155 q, 5.0 awa.  I had one year of serving in a research lab during my time as an undergrad (from 2011-2012).   I received two letters from professors and one from my current supervisor in the last application cycle.

Aside from scoring higher on the gre (which I plan on re-taking), how else can I improve my application?  I am fortunate enough to be located near a major public university with multiple research labs -- would volunteering as an RA be beneficial for my application?  Perhaps I can get a more recent academic letter this way as I have been out of school for over 4 years at this point. 

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!

Edited by Legend111

I think relevant research in an academic setting is definitely the way to go, but don't downplay your relevant experiences in the HR field! Those definitely come hand in hand. Besides pushing for more experience, doing better on your GRE (you should look into the typical scores at the university of interest if they are published or can be provided), also consider your reason for applying to grad school after several years working in the industry. Sometimes a strong statement of interest, especially with someone who has seen first hand the utility and practical relevance of I/O, can change the game as well. Some relevant contacts as referees (here is where newer RA positions or even a former employer may help your case) will most definitely help too!

Good luck with the next application!