Lenght of CV

pecmsyx

This is probably a silly question but I was wondering what the appropriate length of a CV would be for applying for doctoral programs in Statistics? I can't seem to fit everything in one page without cutting out certain significant parts. Thank you!

The CV is different from a resume. You don't need to fit everything on one page. It takes as long as it takes. Professors' CVs can easily be over 20 pages long (for reference, mine is 12 pages long). You might try looking online at the department's webpages that you're applying to, specifically at their 'People' tab. Find some students who have websites and take a look at their CVs for ideas about content, formatting, and length. 

I remember that CV length is a tricky thing when at the applying to grad school stage. I think for most prospective grad students, 2-3 pages is a good length. But at this stage, there are usually some items where it's not clear if including it would be a good idea. So, don't worry about length, but do think about whether or not the item is actually helpful to have on the CV (e.g. maybe don't include that high school job) because you want the reader to quickly notice your highlights! As fuzzy said, CV length will be proportional with time in academia! I'm in the final year of my PhD and my full CV is 6 pages now. But for a couple of recent applications, I submitted a 4 page version (some things weren't relevant).

6 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I remember that CV length is a tricky thing when at the applying to grad school stage. I think for most prospective grad students, 2-3 pages is a good length. But at this stage, there are usually some items where it's not clear if including it would be a good idea. So, don't worry about length, but do think about whether or not the item is actually helpful to have on the CV (e.g. maybe don't include that high school job) because you want the reader to quickly notice your highlights! As fuzzy said, CV length will be proportional with time in academia! I'm in the final year of my PhD and my full CV is 6 pages now. But for a couple of recent applications, I submitted a 4 page version (some things weren't relevant).

Agreed on everything here. This is part of why I suggested looking at CVs of other students, as a way of deciding what is appropriate content and what isn't. (I didn't mention but yes, 12 pages is my 'everything included' length, but of course not every application needs to know everything, some content may not be relevant so I may leave it out or rearrange the CV so more relevant content comes first.)