PHD Sociology or MA Counseling

Queenyie12

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions. My career goals is to teach and help community college students. I love sociology but I am concerned in regards to the job market and of the reputation of the prospective schools I would be accepted/implication of this and of the student loans I'd acquire this route. So I ve considering an MA in counseling to become a school counselor at a community college.

I have a 3.85 GPA from UC Berkeley . But currently scoring 148 verbal and 143 math section. English is not my primary language but I am passionate and dedicated. Anyway, I know community college hire part time so I was considering 2 masters : 1 counseling and 1 in Sociology. Should I just go for a phd in sociology ? If I go for a masters in Counseling does the rep of the school matter? Usc vs Cal states? I just want to earn 50-60,000 and be happy helping community college students!! And teach 1 sociology course in my life ..also, would 2 masters just he a waste instead of an PHD in education? 

Please help , advise, recommendations??? Thank you so so so much!!

You should not go for a PhD unless there's a job you want to do that requires a PhD.

In what ways do you want to help community college students? Do you want to teach classes like "Introduction to College" or "College Success"? If so, then you may want to pursue a counseling degree. That would also give you the option of student affairs type positions, such as academic advising, career counseling, etc.

If you like the field of sociology, want to teach classes like "Introduction to Sociology", and want to have more of a faculty role, then you should pursue the master's in sociology.

If you're unsure about which path you want to follow, you should do some more informational interviews to learn more about the various career options.