Interview preparation?

Tall Chai Latte

I joined this forum rather late in my application process, and I'm new to posting things here (so hi all!). So far I've submitted all of my applications, a total of 7 schools with 6 submitted before mid Dec., and 1 submitted yesterday. I have been dealing with a super unresponsive LOR writer, who had all the information to write recommendation letters back in Sept. I know my GPA is not so great and my GRE is just mediocre, without that third LOR turned in on time, I already gave up on the ones that had Dec. 1st deadline.

But a surprised phone call from a PI at University of Michigan PIBS came around some time in mid-late December regarding my future interview there, I suppose I still have some hope after all. What do you all think that I need to do for preparation?

Thank you all for suggestions!

Congrats on the interview!

Basically you should be ready to answer the questions:

- Tell me about yourself.

- Why do you want to study [field]?

- Tell me about [past project/thesis/specific interest/anything else you mentioned in your app].

- Why this school?

You should also be prepared to ask some questions yourself when you get a chance - e.g. about current work done in the department, the social atmosphere, courses, funding, the town, your responsibilities as a student, the usual student-mentor relationship, etc.

Also, these threads might help: