waitlist question

curehp

I wish I new more about how waitlists work. The question I have is this: if a single person declines an offer, does the first person on the waitlist get accepted (one to one correspondence) or do x number of people have to decline before they dip into the waitlist?

Right now, I've been rejected from all of my top choice schools yet I'm high on a waitlist for my absolute top choice school. I know someone who has (or will) decline their offer, so I'm really hoping that its a one to one process. Anyways, I understand the frustration; let me know if you get in. Good luck!

Generally what happens is that the school will wait until they have heard from all the admits. They will probably automatically decline anyone who has not responded. At that point they will look at the size of their incoming class and determine if they want to go to the wait list.

Sometimes they may know early on that they aren't going to go because they are getting an overwhelming amount of accepts. Sometimes they get a lot of declines early so you may hear early. Generally I would bank on May for hearing about wait lists.

It all depends on if their hit their admit- accept target.

Hi there,

I had applied to Umass Amherst for PhD in mol bio. I was told on 6th march that my file was in the foreign students office and a day later my status was changed to 'waitlisted' . Dunno what they are playing at. keeping my fingers crossed.

I was waitlisted at UNC and then sent a rejection letter and the professor told me it was "very unlikely" because a lot of people had confirmed places.

Would this mean a clear NO or could there somehow be a very small chance. I emailed the Professor/Chair that I would wait until April 15th.