If GRE Score Report Isn't THere @ Deadline

coyabean

I ordered three score reports from GRE at the last moment due to cash flow issues. With no way of checking with schools during the holiday season to verify they were recieved I am a bit worried about if they got there by the deadline. Will the schools contact me if they were not recieved or do the apps get trashed?

I feel like someone here -- rising_star? -- said this happened to her during her season but just want to be sure.

I ordered three score reports from GRE at the last moment due to cash flow issues. With no way of checking with schools during the holiday season to verify they were recieved I am a bit worried about if they got there by the deadline. Will the schools contact me if they were not recieved or do the apps get trashed?

I feel like someone here -- rising_star? -- said this happened to her during her season but just want to be sure.

i think they say two weeks to arrive, right? i imagine there is flexibility here--I hope there is because one of my schools is getting late GRE scores. thankfully it is my last choice.

I think you should be fine, especially if you've self-reported the scores somewhere in the app. From what I read on other threads, it seems that most places will take what you report in good faith and won't trash your app if one or maybe two minor things are missing (like 1 rec letter, or official transcripts or GRE scores).

I believe the deadline is for the application submission and they offer some flexibility for the supporting material to arrive. After all, it could well be that you sent your documents 2 months in advance and it got lost in the mail; not really your fault. For instance, I emailed yesterday one of my schools admission officer to check my application was complete and got the following answer:

Thank you forsubmitting an application to our program. After the applicationdeadline, we will finish sorting the application materials that weresent by mail and online. You will receive a status e-mail shortly afterthe deadline, which will let you know if your materials submitted arecomplete. Please feel free to contact us after receiving this e-mail ifyou notice any issues. Thank you.

I got similar reactions from other schools, so you should not be too worried of late recommendations, transcripts or GRE.

I believe the deadline is for the application submission and they offer some flexibility for the supporting material to arrive. After all, it could well be that you sent your documents 2 months in advance and it got lost in the mail; not really your fault. For instance, I emailed yesterday one of my schools admission officer to check my application was complete and got the following answer:

Thank you forsubmitting an application to our program. After the applicationdeadline, we will finish sorting the application materials that weresent by mail and online. You will receive a status e-mail shortly afterthe deadline, which will let you know if your materials submitted arecomplete. Please feel free to contact us after receiving this e-mail ifyou notice any issues. Thank you.

I got similar reactions from other schools, so you should not be too worried of late recommendations, transcripts or GRE.

thanks for such a detailed follow-up! i really appreciate it. that makes me feel more confident.

ETS doesn't mail individual score reports for each applicant when they're requested; it sends a CD with the reports for ALL applicants to the school a few times a month (something I never knew until I frantically called ETS last year wondering if they could expedite my scores when I realized I had somehow neglected to add one of my schools.) I wouldn't worry too much, they know that the applicant has no control over when ETS mails out the reports.

Also, as I've read on one of my application sites, the schools may take over a month from after they receive their scores to when they actually match them with your application. As long as you paid for sending them out/took the test before the application deadline, I wouldn't worry about anything.