When your POI is on academic leave/sabbatical for the 16-17 year

feelthebern16

I'm in a different discipline, but have the same question. My POI told me via e-mail she would be on sabbatical, but also still wanted to set up a phone call. I figure I'll ask her during the call what the implications are for admissions and what it would mean for my first year if accepted. 

1 hour ago, menge said:

I'm in a different discipline, but have the same question. My POI told me via e-mail she would be on sabbatical, but also still wanted to set up a phone call. I figure I'll ask her during the call what the implications are for admissions and what it would mean for my first year if accepted. 

thanks for the feedback. Do let us know how the phone call goes and what information they give you about this! 

I think it depends a lot on how the department in question does admissions and whether the prof completely peaces out for the sabbatical or whether they still stick around for things that affect them beyond their sabbatical year. For example, in the departments I've been in, some profs on sabbatical will come back for the admissions committee meetings and for new student Open House days so that when they return in 2017, they can resume research with new students right away. Other profs prefer to take the time completely off and they don't worry about not having any students when they return in 2017 because they can wait until 2018. 

So I think the best advice is what @menge said---contact them and ask if they will be interested in taking students for a Fall 2017 start.

It's always best to ask the professor directly whether they are considering taking new students -- there could be any number of reasons they are not, so you don't want to waste the money/time/energy working on an app if the professor isn't taking students for whatever reason. 

On 9/1/2016 at 2:15 PM, feelthebern16 said:

So far, two of the people I have identified as POI's are on sabbatical next year. 

By the way, it's a bit unclear whether you mean next year (17-18 academic year) or this year (16-17 academic year, as stated in post name, in which case the professor would presumably be back by the time you matriculated)?