What to do?

agh423

Hey all-

I am applying to grad schools (duh... ;) ) and some of these schools require two (2) LOR's while the others require three (3).

I asked two professors and a supervisor to write recommendations for me in mid-November. They all said they would do it and I sent the necessary instructions on how to go about submitting the letters. Flash forward about two months letter and only one of the three has submitted anything. I sent an e-mail to the other two last week reminding them that applications are due next Friday (the 15th). One of them responded saying he had been very busy and will get to it. I send some supplementary information his way so I am banking on him getting the recommendations in (he has asked and I have sent in a list of classes I took with him, what I researched, the grades I received, my resume and a personal statement). I haven't heard from the other professor, though.

I am thinking that the other professor is still in winter break mode and will get to my e-mail hopefully this week (I hope!). I want to send another e-mail her week on Wednesday just wondering how things are going.

This is where I need advice!!

Should I just say something along the lines of "I just need to know whether or not you'll do this for me so I can look for another person if need be", "let me know so I can sleep easier", etc.

Should I do this for the other professor, even though he has told me how busy he is?

I'm freaking out!! Applications are due next Friday and I will be damned if I don't go to grad school because of things out of my control :P

I would be neutral one contacting your Professor. Ask for an update. These guys are busy and it's normal for schools to receive a LOR after the due date.

Forward the last email you sent so it includes the original date you sent it and any attachments it had, and write a short relaxed reminder. Don't be too stressed, LORs are often submitted very close to the deadline or even some time after it; adcoms know it's not the applicant's fault. Try something like:

Hello Professor X,

Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed the holidays. I just wanted to remind you that my first letter is due next Friday, on January 15.

I have attached xxxxx. Please let me know if you have any questions, or need any additional information from me to help you write the letter.

Thank you, again, for all your help! It means so much to me.

Thanks,

me.