Princeton Review book for psych GRE

Clinpsyc01

Just wondering if anyone has used the Princeton Review book to prepare for the psychology degree, and if so, how that went for you. I accidentally bought it instead of the Kaplan book and, honestly, I'm not very impressed with it. It's obviously not the only resource I'm using, but I'm still hoping it was somewhat useful for other people! Also, if you used it, how did your score on the practice test compare to your real score? 

Thanks in advance! 

This is the only book I used. Read the whole thing through the night before the test (this is the only thing I did to prepare), revisited topics that I was iffy on again the morning of the test. It is pretty good. It really hits home on the "this is what you need to know" topics. I scored around the 80th percentile (don't remember the exact score). 

• 3 weeks later...

I used this. Scored around the 80th percentile as well. However, I also read a general psych textbook and thought it helped more. Princeton Review's practice test greatly overestimated my percentile- placing me at 99%, and I thought it focused way too much on psychodynamic theories.

Other prep courses were pretty much o the money, though they were M&V.

I would recommend reading through an into psych textbook if you have the time and complementing that with Barron's plus Wikipedia/random web research. The test is fairly comprehensive so it's hard to prepare for it fully without a lot of review, but it doesn't go too much in depth on any one topic. This is one of those cases where being a jack of all trades and having broad but superficial knowledge is helpful. I was able to score in the 99%, but I'm a huge psych nerd and took a bunch of psych classes as an undergrad.  If you just want to score well enough to get admitted, reading an intro psych textbook and a review book should be sufficient. 

EDIT:  The official ETS practice test is a good way to gauge how ready you are: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_psych.pdf

Edited by St0chastic