knowing and emailing to request an appointment

rojano

hey guys, I would like to know how I might be able to find what professors are on the admission committee. And I want to email them to ask for a one-on-one meeting? Does that sound like a sensible idea? What should I write in my email? When should I start emailing? How many articles are enough on resume to start?

No, don't do this. It will give the impression that you are trying to seek an advantage by forming a direct connection with the admissions committee.

What you could do instead, if it's the norm in your field, is to email professors who study the subject areas you would want to do your PhD with and let them know about your interest. This Skype meeting or phone call can also help you decide if you would get along with this person and can help you decide whether or not you would want to apply there. Don't bring up the admissions committee question and don't worry whether or not they are on it. The point of the conversation is for you to find out whether the school/prof is a good fit for you.

On 09/11/2016 at 1:41 AM, TakeruK said:

No, don't do this. It will give the impression that you are trying to seek an advantage by forming a direct connection with the admissions committee.

What you could do instead, if it's the norm in your field, is to email professors who study the subject areas you would want to do your PhD with and let them know about your interest. This Skype meeting or phone call can also help you decide if you would get along with this person and can help you decide whether or not you would want to apply there. Don't bring up the admissions committee question and don't worry whether or not they are on it. The point of the convrsation is for you to find out whetherd the school/prof is a good fit for you.Do I need to contact the professors before applying to phd at University of Toronto?? Coz the website says we should apply directly, but my friends say to talk to a supervisor first. Does anyone know which works better?

Do I need to contact the professors before applying to phd at University of Toronto?? Coz the website says we should apply directly, but my friends say to talk to a supervisor first. Does anyone know which works better?

The professor whom I wanted to contact and who has the same interests as mine is on leave until December :( should I still email her and ask for apoointment? Or should I drop the idea of appointment? Will she answer when she's on leave? What should I do? U of toronto says applicants should apply directly, is there a chance if I do so? 

I wouldn't ask for an appointment but you can still email the professor. Keep in mind that faculty on leave may not check their email regularly and may not reply. But, if the program is saying you don't need to contact profs prior to applying, then you can and should still apply if the program is a good fit for your interests.