First History Result Posted . . .

catilina

I've been checking the results board every day, and so far it has only been people in the sciences receiving interview requests.

Today there was a history posting--someone received an email from a potential advisor at UNC Chapel Hill.

Not an admission decision, but the applications are being read.

I'm curious about how common this sort of thing is in history & disciplines (and why they do it)- "Email from potential advisor to gauge my interest in attending."

Would any of us reply with anything other than yesyesyesyesyes :P?

Edited by tarski

I've been checking the results board every day, and so far it has only been people in the sciences receiving interview requests.

Today there was a history posting--someone received an email from a potential advisor at UNC Chapel Hill.

Not an admission decision, but the applications are being read.

I think you need to relax :)

I wouldn't call that UNC email a result. He also did not fail to mention that they've received over 500 applications this year, compared to 407 last year.

What do you mean? I didn't see anywhere that he mentioned there being over 500 applications this year. If the number of applicants (to all history departments generally, not just UNC) is significantly greater than 2009, and the number of spots available even fewer, I might jump out a window long before mid-March comes around...

Just kidding...maybe... :0

What do you mean? I didn't see anywhere that he mentioned there being over 500 applications this year. If the number of applicants (to all history departments generally, not just UNC) is significantly greater than 2009, and the number of spots available even fewer, I might jump out a window long before mid-March comes around...

Just kidding...maybe... :0

I am the one who got that UNC email, and in it the professor told me that they received over 500 applications this year. And in my field they are accepting "one, possibly two" applicants. I don't consider this to be particularly positive news.

I am the one who got that UNC email, and in it the professor told me that they received over 500 applications this year. And in my field they are accepting "one, possibly two" applicants. I don't consider this to be particularly positive news.

If that is so, rockchalk, that is some disheartening news (the 1 to 2 people accepted), because as I recall from previous posts, we are in the same field. :( It sounds like fairly good news for you though. Good luck!