Haven't Spoken to Profs. How to Go About Asking Them for a Rec?

Kevin1990

I haven't spoken or seen any of my Profs since I finished graduating over 2 years ago.

Since they haven't heard or seen me in some time. I was wondering how I should go about asking them for a letter of rec?

20 hours ago, rising_star said:

Send an email updating them on your what you've done since graduating, asking how they are, and noting that you're planning to go to grad school. Then, ask them if they'd be willing to support your application. 

Hi Rising Star,

Thank you for your advice!

I was also wondering which professor I should ask for one of the recs.

1. Who was my advisor for a year and who I too a class with where I got a B+ overall. 

2. A professor who is an adjuct but is a full PhD and  works in my area of interest. I got an A/A- in their class.

12 hours ago, Kevin1990 said:

1. Who was my advisor for a year and who I too a class with where I got a B+ overall. 

2. A professor who is an adjuct but is a full PhD and  works in my area of interest. I got an A/A- in their class.

Since you need more than one letter, ask both of them.

8 hours ago, avflinsch said:

Since you need more than one letter, ask both of them.

I would but I already have another prof. scoped out for my 1st. This is for my 2nd and I need to chose one or the other.

Ask both of them if they feel they can write you a strong letter of recommendation for the type of program you want and go from there. It could be that one of them doesn't feel they can write a strong letter or a letter that says something other than "did well in class." But you can't and won't know this without asking.

2 hours ago, rising_star said:

Ask both of them if they feel they can write you a strong letter of recommendation for the type of program you want and go from there. It could be that one of them doesn't feel they can write a strong letter or a letter that says something other than "did well in class." But you can't and won't know this without asking.

So just ask them bluntly "if they feel like they can write a strong letter"

also do you think using an adjunct would harm my chances even if they wrote a very strong letter?

On 9/16/2016 at 6:07 PM, Kevin1990 said:

I would but I already have another prof. scoped out for my 1st. This is for my 2nd and I need to chose one or the other.

If you are limited to 2 letters, I would go for the advisor in this case. If you need at least 2, but are allowed to submit 3 or more ask both.