U of Rochester Biostatistics Open House on 10-1-16

Biostat11

On 9/22/2016 at 8:42 AM, cyberwulf said:

Most departments have an open house type event in the September-November period. Typically, they are not advertised beyond "local" schools, but anyone is welcome to attend.

I'm wondering how much impact does attending open house have on getting admitted into that school? If it does make a difference, what should we as prospective students do to "impress" people?

On 9/25/2016 at 0:10 AM, hellostat said:

I'm wondering how much impact does attending open house have on getting admitted into that school? If it does make a difference, what should we as prospective students do to "impress" people?

Basically no impact. It is an opportunity for a program to advertise to you. The faculty involved in admissions will often not be involved at all, or only just tangentially (e.g., welcoming students, talking briefly about their research, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 10:12 AM, cyberwulf said:

Basically no impact. It is an opportunity for a program to advertise to you. The faculty involved in admissions will often not be involved at all, or only just tangentially (e.g., welcoming students, talking briefly about their research, etc.)

Thank you very much! I previously was thinking about going to one of the open houses, but now it seems unnecessary.