LOR from other discipline?

Hi, I am going to apply for phD programs this fall, and I've been wondering how common it is to get a recommendation from professors of other discipline. I am currently in a MA program in English department, but in undergrad my major has been a social science discipline (politics to be more precise).  I will ask two LORs from professors of my current department, but Im thinking maybe the third one can come from a politics professor who knows a lot about my academic passion and drive. My only worry is that while this could be a good opportunity for me to stand out (as my SOP also  talks about my strength and interest in interdisciplinary approach), it could make me seem detached from English lit.  People are just telling me it could be a risk and perhaps radical. 

Any advice? 

I would seek the advice of English profs in your department. Maybe ask your other two letter writers. My main letter writer was also a mentor to me so I talked to them extensively about who else to pick for the other 2 letters. Also, for an MA student applying to PhD programs, it's normal to have at least 1 letter from their BA program, so I think it would make sense to have a politics professor write a letter since that was your BA major.

I would say that in the physical sciences, it's natural to have people outside of your main field write letters if you worked with them. But right now, I'm also currently in a very interdisciplinary area of work, so this is more natural around me. I would ask the advice of your letter writers or other profs in your English department. (i.e. are these the people telling you that it's a risk?)

Hmmm... I guess the question I'd ask is whether the letter from your BA professor can add something that a letter from someone in your MA program could not add. It's likely that key things for grad school success like your maturity, research and writing skills, and research interests have changed since your BA and might be easier for someone from your MA program to speak to.

(For anecdata, I'll note that I was once in your shoes. I changed fields between my BA and MA and stayed in the MA field for my PhD. I went with my MA thesis committee for my three recommenders, in part because my interests and skills had changed, in part because they were better able to speak to my ability to do research in that field, and in part because their names were more likely to be recognized by those reading my application.)

Thanks everyone!! your replies are all so helpful ! :) I guess I'll stick with my MA faculties. I also realised that a part of my SOP addresses why I didn't feel satisfied at social science department, and I'm afraid that my BA professor might find it...offensive? haha. Im so nervous about everything since this is my first time applying. I'm sure everyone feels the same way but anyway... thanks. 

@eyeshadow, I wouldn't say anything about why you didn't feel satisfied in your BA department. Your SOP needs to be forward-looking, not looking at and justifying your past. The adcom would rather read about what you did in your MA and what you're going to do in your PhD than how/why your BA department didn't satisfy you. 

(Anecdata again: I never mentioned my BA discipline in the SOP for PhD programs. That SOP was all about the theoretical framework I wanted to use, the kinds of things I wanted to study using that framework, and the skills I'd gained in my MA which would help me do that successfully.)

@rising_starReally?? do you think it's a bad idea? I wouldn't be writing a lot about it, but just in the opening paragraph to present my interest and make myself interesting. The thing is I want to pursue a kind of humanities research that incorporates social science themes such as political theory and war, international law, etc. I thought it could be a good idea to highlight some of the experiences that mattered to me to take this approach, as I did some diplomatic activities and whatnot.  Thanks for the advice. I'm contemplating how to frame my SOP at the moment!