Theatre/Performance Studies

alfie08

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else here applying to PhD programs in Theatre/Performance Studies? Or studying theatre/performance in a cognate discipline (English, CompLit, etc?)

I am! I'm applying to Performance Studies and Cultural Studies PhD programs with a focus on dance studies.

I am! I'm applying to Performance Studies and Cultural Studies PhD programs with a focus on dance studies.

Awesome! So glad to hear from someone! Where did you apply? Heard anything back yet? I do some dance studies (mostly in the context of musical theatre studies).

Awesome! So glad to hear from someone! Where did you apply? Heard anything back yet? I do some dance studies (mostly in the context of musical theatre studies).

I applied to UC Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, Brown, University of Maryland, UC Davis and Northwestern for Performance studies, and then UC Riverside for Critical Dance Studies, Duke for Cultural Anthropology and George Mason for Cultural Studies.

I've only heard from Northwestern--a rejection that was expected since there isn't a faculty member there who fits my interests.

Have you heard anything? Where did you apply? (There doesn't seem to be much choice!)

Edited by Kate

I applied to UC Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, Brown, University of Maryland, UC Davis and Northwestern for Performance studies, and then UC Riverside for Critical Dance Studies, Duke for Cultural Anthropology and George Mason for Cultural Studies.

I've only heard from Northwestern--a rejection that was expected since there isn't a faculty member there who fits my interests.

Have you heard anything? Where did you apply? (There doesn't seem to be much choice!)

Update: I just got a call from the University of Maryland's Theatre Dept saying that they've recommended me to the Graduate School for admission. Hooray!

Update: I just got a call from the University of Maryland's Theatre Dept saying that they've recommended me to the Graduate School for admission. Hooray!

Congrats, that's fantastic! Hooray for you!

So far, I have an nterview at Stanford, and an implicit rejection from Northwestern (my friend was called to interview...I was not).

I also applied to UC Berkeley, Brown, Cornell, and Yale (American Studies).

I'm getting nervous about Berkeley--last year they notified in late January, but I haven't heard anything and there's been no action on the board. I'm tempted to email the grad admin--she's be so nice and helpful throughout this process!

Congrats, that's fantastic! Hooray for you!

So far, I have an nterview at Stanford, and an implicit rejection from Northwestern (my friend was called to interview...I was not).

I also applied to UC Berkeley, Brown, Cornell, and Yale (American Studies).

I'm getting nervous about Berkeley--last year they notified in late January, but I haven't heard anything and there's been no action on the board. I'm tempted to email the grad admin--she's be so nice and helpful throughout this process!

I'm nervous about Berkeley too--I also haven't heard anything. Let me know if you hear anything from them!

any other theatre/performance scholars want to announce themselves? i saw someone posted a stanford rejection today...

Hey there --

Congrats to both of you on interview and acceptance! I've only applied to 3 programmes in Theatre/Performance Studies -- Brown, Minnesota and Oregon. I'm busy finishing up my MA and have a young family so didn't have the time to apply to more places and needed to steer clear of expensive cities (ie NY, SF, LA) hence the slightly odd selection.

I'm on the 'shortlist' for Minnesota apparently -- had an 'informal chat' over the phone with the programme head (felt like an interview, probably was an interview? I'm 'foreign' so the whole process/system is alien to me). Brown is probably going to be a stretch for me and Oregon's deadline was only last week so not expecting to hear anything v soon.

Anyway, best of luck -- hope we all hear some good news soon...

Hey there --

Congrats to both of you on interview and acceptance! I've only applied to 3 programmes in Theatre/Performance Studies -- Brown, Minnesota and Oregon. I'm busy finishing up my MA and have a young family so didn't have the time to apply to more places and needed to steer clear of expensive cities (ie NY, SF, LA) hence the slightly odd selection.

I'm on the 'shortlist' for Minnesota apparently -- had an 'informal chat' over the phone with the programme head (felt like an interview, probably was an interview? I'm 'foreign' so the whole process/system is alien to me). Brown is probably going to be a stretch for me and Oregon's deadline was only last week so not expecting to hear anything v soon.

Anyway, best of luck -- hope we all hear some good news soon...

Hi bsprad--so glad to have a 3rd person here! What are your research interests (I totally understand if you would rather PM that information!)

Congrats on UMinn--that's an excellent program! I know how you feel about Brown--that program is IMPOSSIBLE, but at least there are 3 Brown applicants now so we can keep each other informed ;)

Hi bsprad--so glad to have a 3rd person here! What are your research interests (I totally understand if you would rather PM that information!)

Congrats on UMinn--that's an excellent program! I know how you feel about Brown--that program is IMPOSSIBLE, but at least there are 3 Brown applicants now so we can keep each other informed ;)

Sorry for the prolonged silence alfie -- it's been one of those weeks (months actually).

I'm researching W.B. Yeats's plays at the moment and am interested in modernist theatre generally. Polish avant-garde as well. Have in the past done a lot of work on Grotowski and proposed, in my application statements, to look at Grots relationship to modernist theories of performance.

I haven't heard anything further yet re. applications, any news your end?

• 2 weeks later...

Huge congratulations, alfie! That's awesome :-) Will you go there or Cornell?

I didn't get in, but I'm happy with my UMCP acceptance so far! Did anyone find out any details about Berkeley, as to how many applied and how many got in? Just curious....

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

So, now it's 2012... I'm applying to a number of theatre/performance phd programs as well as the media, art, text phd at VCU. I'm 35, and I've got a great deal of professional creative experience and teaching experience, but my undergrad GPA is average, as are my GRE scores. I do have strong LsOR and I feel good about my SOP, but who knows...

Anyone else out there in the ether? I feel like I could get in everywhere or nowhere. It's a strange feeling. To have no idea where I really stand in this world of process. I have alot of confidence, but I don't know if it is valued. ... Now, I'm ranting..

Regardless, I'd love to hear about how you are feeling. Let's form a little context for ourselves.

applying: stanford, berkeley, ucsb, ucd, ucla, northwestern, ut, brown, vcu

VCU's Media, art and text seems like a great program. I almost applied there but then didn't send in my application.

I applied to Northwestern, but don't think will get in.

Edited by Seeking

• 1 month later...