Deadline and TOEFL

Varun95

Check with TOEFL. I think it says somewhere in their websites. My understanding is that it's pretty quick. I sat for it in early December, I think, and deadlines were around the 15th.

1 hour ago, Varun95 said:

I am planning to give TOEFL on 19th of november for application deadlines around 10th december. Is this sufficient enough time for my scores to reach the universities?

If you're taking the iBT, it takes 10 days for the results to come out, then another one to two weeks for them to reach your universities. That should help you plan.

But on a more practical level, some universities accept the result PDF you download from your account as a provisional, unofficial result until the official one from ETS arrives. So check with your school.

Many admissions departments won't be able to immediately see your application anyway, so they can usually spare you a few extra days until the official results reach them in the mail. But you have to check with them first.

Edited by DogsArePeopleToo
Adding context

I checked with admissions at a rather prominent university a few days ago about deadlines - a too-old, rather than too-recent TOEFL, in my case, which I think is a greater sin, and they said even that doesn't disqualify anything outright, its just a possible weakness in the application. (I'm going to assume a 118 score from May 2015 will be as adequate in demonstrating my English as one from September 2015, and refuse to retake the damn thing for the 1-2 applications that insist on timing the 2 years from start of term rather than the application deadline. Especially ones that only mention it in the body of the application and nowhere in the guidelines.) 

Point being, I can't imagine your official TOEFL scores arriving a couple of days late - likely way before anyone has even gotten around to looking at the application - is going to be a huge dealbreaker, especially if you upload a scan, which you should have, before the deadline. 

10 minutes ago, TK2 said:

I checked with admissions at a rather prominent university a few days ago about deadlines - a too-old, rather than too-recent TOEFL, in my case, which I think is a greater sin, and they said even that doesn't disqualify anything outright, its just a possible weakness in the application. (I'm going to assume a 118 score from May 2015 will be as adequate in demonstrating my English as one from September 2015, and refuse to retake the damn thing for the 1-2 applications that insist on timing the 2 years from start of term rather than the application deadline. Especially ones that only mention it in the body of the application and nowhere in the guidelines.) 

Point being, I can't imagine your official TOEFL scores arriving a couple of days late - likely way before anyone has even gotten around to looking at the application - is going to be a huge dealbreaker, especially if you upload a scan, which you should have, before the deadline. 

All reasonable points. Best of luck!