Decisions Decisions!

kmh

I've been accepted into a MA program in archaeology at a top tier school that is is well-known and highly respected (we'll call it school A) and a PhD program in anthropology at a lesser-known but respected school (school B). School A offered a good financial package, has a greater breadth of courses (though offers fewer options each semester), and offers a lot of flexibility and courses that could be used to enhance my overall knowledge base. School B did not offer any funding, but they do have more course options each semester (though with a more limited breadth of topics), a reasonable amount of flexibility, and a lot of courses that could supplement my program. The schools are located near each other geographically, and both have professors that I have gotten to know and would love to work with!

I suppose my question is this: do you think that one option is better than the other? Is it wise to do an MA before a PhD, or does it really matter? Can having an MA make it more difficult to get into a PhD program later? I feel like both schools could be a good fit, and of course both have their strengths and weaknesses. I will definitely pursue a PhD regardless of which I choose and want to work in academia...who knew it would be so hard to choose!

I'd go to the place with funding. The MA program will let you acquire more skills (archaeological training, languages, going on digs) that will help you get into an excellent PhD program in the future.