content of CV

flood25

Hello, 

I'm applying for Clinical psychology PhD programs, and am unsure whether to include former education (music in my case) and work experience which are not related to therapy or research. I  can see how these may be irrelevant, but since I started studying psychology at a relatively late age, if I omit them It will leave great time-gaps in my CV. 

would be glad to have your opinions :] 

Maybe you can structure your CV in reverse chronological order so that your most recent experiences are seen first?  This way you emphasize what you've done recently (which I take it is psychology/research related?) without being dishonest about your background.  I can't imagine that your music education would be held against you so long as you have relevant research experience.  If you're creative, you could even spin your non-traditional background into a selling point in your statement of purpose.  Daniel Levitin is a psychologist with a music background who has done really great work in cognitive neuroscience.

Edited by St0chastic

I also recommend reverse-chronological order (actually, this is the only ordering I've ever seen in a CV but maybe other fields do it different ways?).

If you don't want to write about your past though, reverse chronological order also allows you to start at the present and only go back until you stop having experiences you want to talk about. Note that most schools will require you to write all the schools you've attended (or received a degree from) in the application form, however, I think it's okay to leave it out of the CV if you think it's irrelevant and don't want to discuss it. (I'm not saying that the non-traditional background is good or bad, I'm just providing another option).

On 10/8/2016 at 1:40 PM, St0chastic said:

point in your statement of purpose.  Daniel Levitin is a psychologist with a music background who has done really great work in cognitive neuroscience.

If you ever get a chance to go to one of Richard Kogan's concert/lectures  - do it, they are all fascinating

I have been to his Schumann, Gershwin, Mozart, Bernstein and Rachmaninoff concerts/lectures - all excellent. Unfortunately I am going to miss this year's Scott Joplin concert.

Edited by avflinsch
typo