Should I contact the AdComs?

javagdss

I work at USC and just enrolled in one of their Planning classes. (It's free! Hooray for staff tuition benefits!)

I'm not sure whether I should contact the departments where I've already submitted an application. Anybody can enroll in a class, and it's not like I have grades to show for it yet. But it's with Bill Fulton, who's respected in this field. What do you think?

Also, should I mention it in the applications I haven't submitted yet?

For what its worth I would say yes.

I dont think it will hurt at all. I have a similar experience in that I got an award for some of my research just before chirstmas and after I had handed in all my apps. I updated my CV and phoned to ask if I could change it on their systems. I was unsure whether to bother, but as my current supervisor put it 'the worst it can do is bump your application in their memories'. Maybe put it in some form which can simply be updated in your file, such as a CV?

I'd sit on that knowledge and use it in the event that you're waitlisted somewhere. If you find out you're waitlisted, you can send them a letter detailing the things you've been doing since you've submitted your application, and put that front and centre.

I like this plan because it requires zero effort on my part right now. Apps are exhausting!