Clinical Psychology

So who else is applying to clinical psychology programs for Fall 2010?? Where are you applying? What are your worries? Did you get contacted by schools yet? PhD or Masters?

I am applying to 10 PhD and 4 Masters Programs. I know it is a lot.. maybe? But clinical psychology is so competitive. I have 1 PhD app left, and I still have to do all 4 masters apps.

I am sooooo sick of the application process. I have spent like over $2,000 in app fees, express mailing fees, GRE and transcript reports...etc. I am afraid after spending time taking the GRE twice, the subject test, all the app time, and money, that I won't be accepted to any of the programs.

Maybe I am just worrying...but I feel so alone in the process. I don't know about anyone else who has applied to graduate school this year, so I feel really alone. I talk to my parents and friends and bf about it, but obviously it's hard for them to understand what I'm going through.

I worry because although I have a years worth of reserach experience, it was in social psych, and not in clinical (due to the fact that there was only 1 clinical psychologist in the psych department at my current school. Also I bombed the GRE both times. 420 V and 460 Q. My GRE is the main weakness in my application. But, just knowing that will weaken my chances really bothers me.

I actually already got rejected to one school, and I feel like my GRE scores are probably the main reason I wasn't considered.

Ok, well I just needed to complain about clinical psychology. I hate how selective the field is! :( Anyone else going through something similar??...

I'm not applying to clinical psychology, but I am applying to twelve programs in Organizational Behavior / Management.

Like you, I have spent a lot of money on applications, and I can't help but worry that I will not get accepted this year.

When I decided to apply, I was fairly confident with my chances of getting accepted into the programs that I had in mind. However, reading profiles of other people in this message board has undermined my confidence about getting in. Not to mention, I applied to top schools mostly, as all of the authors that I wish to work with are business faculty in top-tier programs.

I guess feeling nervous about the competition is only natural. Sometimes, I remind myself why I'm doing this and what led me to do this, to renew my motivation in applying.

I understand how you're feeling, but don't fret -- it will be over soon. If we can't get into a program this year, then it just gives us more time to work on our application for next year. However, before I even devote some time thinking about my next course of action, I think the best move for me right now is to focus on getting done what needs to get done.

Goodluck!

Clinical psych girl, I'd be more worried about your experience than your GREs (which can be overlooked if you have other strengths in your application). Although clinical psych involves research, I'm under the impression most schools prefer their applicants to have completed internships. But as my field is social psych I can't say for sure.

If you get across the board rejections (which is something I'm afraid of and planning contingencies for), I'd recommend you consider spending the next year or so getting clinical experience. See if your school can arrange an internship for you, or see if the one clinical psych prof at your school will allow you to join in with some research. The clinician in my program was doing research on ADD which she let me join in on (oddly enough I didn't even know she was a clinician until near the end of the semester!). Yours might likewise being doing some clinical-related work.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I dunno, although I love this forum, it really just depresses me. Everyone on here seems very qualified. And that is great, but I wish I was one of those people. I just feel kind of annoyed when people complain about getting 1150 or 1200 GRE scores. I would love a score like that.

How did everyone do on their subject test scores? I got a 630, which is decent, but obviously I wish I would have done a little better. I guess I am just happy I didn't bomb it, like my general test. lol

I am left with 4 masters program applications to turn in. I have a week or 2 to really work hard before I turn them in. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me succeed in writing my SOP's for the masters programs? I would really appreciate any tips!

• 2 weeks later...

So who else is applying to clinical psychology programs for Fall 2010?? Where are you applying? What are your worries? Did you get contacted by schools yet? PhD or Masters?

I am applying to 10 PhD and 4 Masters Programs. I know it is a lot.. maybe? But clinical psychology is so competitive. I have 1 PhD app left, and I still have to do all 4 masters apps.

I am sooooo sick of the application process. I have spent like over $2,000 in app fees, express mailing fees, GRE and transcript reports...etc. I am afraid after spending time taking the GRE twice, the subject test, all the app time, and money, that I won't be accepted to any of the programs.

Maybe I am just worrying...but I feel so alone in the process. I don't know about anyone else who has applied to graduate school this year, so I feel really alone. I talk to my parents and friends and bf about it, but obviously it's hard for them to understand what I'm going through.

I worry because although I have a years worth of reserach experience, it was in social psych, and not in clinical (due to the fact that there was only 1 clinical psychologist in the psych department at my current school. Also I bombed the GRE both times. 420 V and 460 Q. My GRE is the main weakness in my application. But, just knowing that will weaken my chances really bothers me.

I actually already got rejected to one school, and I feel like my GRE scores are probably the main reason I wasn't considered.

Ok, well I just needed to complain about clinical psychology. I hate how selective the field is! :( Anyone else going through something similar??...

• 1 year later...

I applied to 23 PhD clinical psychology programs (made sure I was a good fit with at least 1 research faculty from each institution).

GPA- 3.346 when applied (currently 3.446)

GREs- sucky

double major: Neuroscience and Psychology

Hold membership in a NIH-funded scholarship program for minority undergrads aiming to pursue a research career.

Research- 3 years, most senior undergrad on project

Clinical- employed (3 months now) working with autistic/children with down syndrome

Also, volunteered as a tutor for inpatient adolescence and sat in on supervised group therapy sessions for outpatient adults

Teaching- was an undergraduate teaching assistant (TA) for a behavioral neuroscience course, actually got to teach a lesson on emotion and motivation

Letters- from Dean of Reseach and Graduate Studies (my research mentor), the professor I TA'ed for, and a faculty member involved in the NIH program I am in.

Presented at Society for Neuroscience conference and many other conferences (student & professional)

Manuscript underway for Neurobiology: Learning and Memory journal

Student-Athlete!

Okay, so what do you think my chances are?

*Please be very honest