Will a 44% score on the Chemistry Subject Test make or break me for PhD programs?

chmlvr

Question

I am a senior chemistry major at a top 30 university with a 3.457 GPA. This is my fourth semester doing research in a lab on top of working both summers (in the same lab). I am, and have been, the only person working on my project while I've been doing research. I am currently working on developing patent with my PI, so I don't have any papers for my research. My GRE scores are: VR 75%, QR 91%, AW 93%. I also have much experience doing chemistry outreach and am currently running the ACS student chapter at my school. In addition, I am taking graduate chemistry courses. I am interested in PhD programs for organic/organometallic chemistry.

However, I did poorly on the Chemistry Subject test (44%), and I am worried that it will ruin my chances at PhD programs that I am interested. Should I report it or not? It is already going to four schools (the four reports that came free with the test), and I am worried that it will ruin my chances at those schools. Some programs say it is not required but HIGHLY encouraged. Is that basically mandatory? I don't know what to do.

Edited by chmlvr

2 answers to this question

Probably late to the party but not reporting your score doesn't doom you. I did not report my score (worse than yours!!) and was accepted to the only program I've heard back from so far (U of Rochester). So yeah, it's not a total loss.

I'm math applicant not a chemistry applicant, but I did very poorly on the math subject area test (less than half your score :blink:). If a school didn't require it, then I didn't send it, but I know from talking to schools that they know your subject test isn't the whole picture.