Does Writing Sample Have to Match Intended Concentration?

Goddard

Hey all,

I am applying to a series of Religious Studies grad programs, and in several of them have indicated an interest in pursuing 'North American Religion'-type concentrations (out of Christianity, Judaism, Theology, Ancient Religions, etc.), but does that mean the writing sample necessarily has to be in the same area of concentration? I ask because I have some thesis chapters on Jewish emancipation in Germany on hand that I think could be, easily enough, edited into very strong writing samples. Whereas the thesis chapters that pertain more directly to religion in North America are far longer and more difficult to edit into writing sample format.

Both options are very relevant to Religious Studies, but I worry about presenting writing that doesn't match up with my intended concentration. On the other hand, intended concentrations are purely informal, and I am fairly sure graduate students don't even formally select them until after the first few semesters or so. And it seems relevant to show breadth.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I think you're close enough to what you intend to do. I've seen people submit things that were hardly even related, but they wanted to show their strongest academic writing.

Like you said, the intended specialization is not something set in stone and many people apply for programs that they did not major in before, and even if they did, they may want to approach a different, slightly related topic. Some schools I'm applying for actually expressly state that the sample doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to what you're applying to but should be a sample of your best writing to date.

Just my two cents :)