PHD Political Science Profile Evaluation

Greetings!

I'm hoping to gain some insights into my chances as a candidate given the information provided below. I'm thinking of applying to Cornell, Northwestern University, John Hopkins University, University of Notre Dame, University of Pennsylvania, University of Washington, and Boston College. 

PROFILE:

Research Experience: One IR-paper from a peer reviewed journal published by Ateneo de Manila University. I've also presented papers on rural social movements, and voter education at a number of national and international conferences. 

Work Experience: Since graduating university 2 1/2 years ago, I've worked as a development researcher and human rights campaigner. I've played a crucial role in a number of nationally significant social movements. I am also a co-founder and COO of a data analytics company.

Undergraduate institution: Ateneo de Manila University (highly ranked university in the Philippines and Asia) 

Major: Philosophy

GPA: 3.44 

GRE:

Verbal: 170

Quanti: 154

AWA: Expecting at the very least a 4.5 

Should I apply to more higher ranked universities? Should I apply to more lower ranked universities? Or are my target schools ok, given my profile? Will my low quanti scores kill my chances of getting into a good program? Should I retake the GREs?

Would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you! 

Edited by Imperator_Taco

Some of your target schools will be okay with that quant score, but for the most part it will be a gamble. Your verbal score is excelllent. Your GPA may be on the low side, but odds are they'll cut some slack if the grading system in the Philippines is harsher. The journal article is good, it definitely can't hurt, but it may not have a large benefit since it's a foreign journal. I'm sure it's an excellent article, but US programs tend to, rightly or wrongly, see most foreign journals as inferior. This is even true with top journals (BJPS is basically the top in Europe, but it's considered fourth best in the US).

10 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Some of your target schools will be okay with that quant score, but for the most part it will be a gamble. Your verbal score is excelllent. Your GPA may be on the low side, but odds are they'll cut some slack if the grading system in the Philippines is harsher. The journal article is good, it definitely can't hurt, but it may not have a large benefit since it's a foreign journal. I'm sure it's an excellent article, but US programs tend to, rightly or wrongly, see most foreign journals as inferior. This is even true with top journals (BJPS is basically the top in Europe, but it's considered fourth best in the US).

Just a follow up question: which departments would likely be ok with my quanti score? 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Determinedandnervous said:

JHU, Notre Dame, Boston College, and possibly UPenn and Washington.

Thank you!

One more question: what about University of Maryland? Would you know if my GRE scores are ok for UMD?