The Complicated Case of a Writing Sample & Co-Authorship

day_manderly

So here goes the problem. My professor and I came up with an interesting idea (the main point was mine), and we decided to write a paper. So I wrote my part in the summer. To specify, those are not clearly cut parts - it's more like I write a text, and then my professor adds/corrects/builds upon it. Now I want to turn the part that I wrote into a Writing Sample - but what will happen when the same material, however changed, appears in our peer-reviewed paper? Is there a proper way to tackle the situation? Is me being the first author solves it? Is there any way to publish a paper without specifying who the first author is? The part that was written by is not a co-authored piece of writing, because I wrote it by myself.

Or should I just forget about turning the piece into my Writing Sample, and write another one?

• 1 month later...

I'd go with writing a new paper. There are schools that will specifically tell you NOT to submit anything that's co authored but even if that's not the case, I see too much risk of running into an ethical issue. Even if the main idea originated with you, developing the idea, deciding what direction you are going to take it and how to actually write it wasn't all you. This is different from when you're writing something and you incorporate feedback. So best be on the safe side and go with a different paper :)

16 hours ago, DBear said:

I'd go with writing a new paper. There are schools that will specifically tell you NOT to submit anything that's co authored but even if that's not the case, I see too much risk of running into an ethical issue. Even if the main idea originated with you, developing the idea, deciding what direction you are going to take it and how to actually write it wasn't all you. This is different from when you're writing something and you incorporate feedback. So best be on the safe side and go with a different paper :)

That's the avenue I've ended up taking.