Emailing Past Professor

ThousandsHardships

One of the PhD programs that I'm applying to is in my home department at my alma mater. The professor that I would like to work with is someone whose class I've taken in the past, but whom I have not contacted for over six years. I'm not even sure if she would remember me. I took her class before I had even declared the major. As far as I'm concerned, she has not seen me graduate, she has not seen me do my master's, she has not seen my interest develop, and the weirdest thing is, I've been in almost constant contact with everyone else in the department except her.

So my question is...how do I break the silence? I might get away with not contacting the professors in the other programs I apply to, but I feel like I can't get away with not contacting her since I technically know her. At the same time, I can't do that typical email where you introduce yourself and your interest and ask to talk to discuss this further. After all, how can I ask to discuss this further when I've already taken a class from her and know exactly who she is? I'd really appreciate any insights onto this topic. Thanks in advance for your contributions!

Edited by ThousandsHardships

I'd just email her telling her that you took her class a couple years ago and let her know what you've done since then (how your interests developed, etc.). If possible maybe try to tie in how taking her class affected your decision. Then let her know you're planning on applying to PhD programs and you'd like to talk to her about her research or whatever else you want. These types of situations probably aren't that uncommon.