LoR question

I have a professor from my speech prereqs that promised to write me a LoR and now has not responded to any emails, and I am getting desperate as my deadlines are fast approaching. I have an aunt (mom's sister) that is a very accomplished SLP. She has worked in the field for 40+ years, went to Columbia, heavily published. We are close. I know family members are typically a big no-no for grad recommendations, but do you think this could work as a last resort? 

I personally do not. If it were a family friend, sure. But an actual family member's opinion literally will not matter- they have an obvious conflict. Pick a professional who knows you but maybe not the field?

It is through my distance learning program, so in-person isn't an option, but I have emailed her, called her, called the office. Everything. I understand they are busy but I strongly feel if you agree to write a LOR for a student you should follow up. I am very frustrated. 

That is definitely frustrating. 

So, the prof agreed to the letter. 

Did you send her the details / your SOP & resume? 

If yes, you might just have to wait it out and trust that she's a professional :/ I know it sucks, but I had a similar scare. The professor didn't let me down though - she came through and delivered the letters on time (close to the deadline, but on time). 

4 minutes ago, mcamp said:

That is definitely frustrating. 

So, the prof agreed to the letter. 

Did you send her the details / your SOP & resume? 

If yes, you might just have to wait it out and trust that she's a professional :/ I know it sucks, but I had a similar scare. The professor didn't let me down though - she came through and delivered the letters on time (close to the deadline, but on time). 

I sent her everything, including my pre-reqs specified form. This was back in August. I emailed her multiple times, she said she never got anything (even though I have an email from her saying "Thanks! Got it" in August). I re-sent her my items, sent a follow up email, then another, then another, called her, called the office. Nothing. 

Sounds like a tough situation - sorry to hear you're dealing with it. 

Can you call the dept. secretary and ask if the prof is in before being transferred? 

Seems like your options are 1) trust in it or 2) find another recommender  - harsh truth kind of moment :/

• 6 months later...

I just read through this. Man. That is an AWFUL situation to be in. If anyone else might be in a similar situation, it could be beneficial to call the schools you are applying to and ask if you can get a professional reference from work or from an SLP you've observed many times or something. This is also why it's important to make as many connections as you can during your undergrad with the professors so you have more than 2 options for who can write your LOR. I actually had the same scare a few months ago and emailed a school asking if I could send them a LOR from an SLP or my supervisor at the school I work at since one adjunct professor had an inactive email for that semester and I couldn't get in touch with her. They actually said it would be fine to do that. But everyone's situation is different so yeah, when in doubt contact the schools ??