Phd in Operations Research for research career in Data Science/ AI/ Machine Learning

kreid415

Hello,

I'm currently studying Mathematics and Econometrics, and I am very interested in pursuing a PhD and research career in the mathematical aspects of data science (Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning). I have a decent amount of coding experience in R and Python, but I have not taken any CS classes. 

Is Operations Research a discipline that would allow me to pursue my research goals?

Are there any other types of programs that I should look into? I am currently applying to OR programs, and NYU's Data Science PhD program.

Any help you can provide would be a huge help. Thanks!

I am not sure but still try to say few things

As as I know OR has courses like Stochastic Modeling (Markov chains etc), Optimization Techniques etc. which is a part of ML but it may not contain a formal course on ML (regarding training, tuning, validation etc). But I think you can enroll into those courses as elective courses.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, kreid415 said:

FrogL,

Nothing yet, the deadline was on the 2nd, so I'm not expecting to hear back until February.

I see.

I thought you applied to NYU DS PhD which was due on 12/15. 

Good luck to both of us!

15 hours ago, frogL said:

I see.

I thought you applied to NYU DS PhD which was due on 12/15. 

Good luck to both of us!

I did apply to the NYU DS PhD,

This is straight off the NYU DS PhD website:

I mistook the deadline for the 2nd, when it was actually the 4th. 

• January 4, 2017 – Application deadline.