Reapplying to the Same University - How to Tackle in SoP

So I am reapplying to the program that asks for both a Personal Statement, and Research Statement. Last year I got to the interview phase. What is the best way to tackle this? I see several different avenues:

1. Mention is the beginning, proceed to the gaining more experience, getting a clearer goal part in the Personal Statement;

2. Mention along the way;

3. Not mention at all?

I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, so perhaps my advice is not the best to take. However, if it were me I would take time to consider how formative the first experience was and how it directly influenced you to step up your game. I think that it shows you in a positive light to have the bravery to be honest about past mistakes and show that the program is perfect enough for you and important enough to you to have taken additional measures to gain more experience and reapply. Academia is full of denials, so I'd bet the admin committee will understand an appreciate that effort, as long as you talk about it in a positive light.

I'll start with a standard disclaimer that different fields may have different norms.

My advice is to not mention this at all, unless this previous experience has direct effect on what you did for the previous year**. Otherwise, they know that they didn't accept you last time so there's no need to remind them (and give them more reason to not accept you again). Instead, just focus on what you actually did. Write the application as if you are applying for the very first time, don't mention your previous application and don't be afraid to repeat some things from last time. You don't know that every person reading the application this year is the same as the people from last year. And even if there is overlap, you can't assume they remember anything about you.

As Triangular said, academia is full of denials, so you want to show that you are able to have unsuccessful experiences and move on. You do this by showing, not telling. Writing a strong application with new stuff from your last year is how you show that you have moved on and will persevere. Spending time and space discussing the past attempt is just telling. Also, since many other people will have denials and try again, telling a story of how you didn't get in the first time but will try again this year isn't an original story and would be kind of cliché. Just show that you are moving past this by focussing on your strengths.

The personal statement is meant to be an essay on why you are a good fit for this school, on why you want to attend this graduate program, and why this department will help you meet your career goals. So, writing about how you didn't get into this program last year does not further these goals. 

** Note: An example of this would be if you applied last year and did not make it into their graduate program, however, a professor at the school recommended you do X first and reapply. X might be something like attending a 1 year Masters program, joining a specific research project, or maybe working part-time or volunteering in their lab, or maybe they help connect you with something to work on etc. In cases like this, I think it is a good idea to discuss your past application cycle!

10 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

I'll start with a standard disclaimer that different fields may have different norms.

My advice is to not mention this at all, unless this previous experience has direct effect on what you did for the previous year**. Otherwise, they know that they didn't accept you last time so there's no need to remind them (and give them more reason to not accept you again). Instead, just focus on what you actually did. Write the application as if you are applying for the very first time, don't mention your previous application and don't be afraid to repeat some things from last time. You don't know that every person reading the application this year is the same as the people from last year. And even if there is overlap, you can't assume they remember anything about you.

As Triangular said, academia is full of denials, so you want to show that you are able to have unsuccessful experiences and move on. You do this by showing, not telling. Writing a strong application with new stuff from your last year is how you show that you have moved on and will persevere. Spending time and space discussing the past attempt is just telling. Also, since many other people will have denials and try again, telling a story of how you didn't get in the first time but will try again this year isn't an original story and would be kind of cliché. Just show that you are moving past this by focussing on your strengths.

The personal statement is meant to be an essay on why you are a good fit for this school, on why you want to attend this graduate program, and why this department will help you meet your career goals. So, writing about how you didn't get into this program last year does not further these goals. 

** Note: An example of this would be if you applied last year and did not make it into their graduate program, however, a professor at the school recommended you do X first and reapply. X might be something like attending a 1 year Masters program, joining a specific research project, or maybe working part-time or volunteering in their lab, or maybe they help connect you with something to work on etc. In cases like this, I think it is a good idea to discuss your past application cycle!

Thank you; this is all extremely useful.

I'm almost certain they will remember me, and the application will be read by the same person. That professor did explain that usually they look for candidates with more working experience, so my pitch will be something along the lines of working for one more year in my field, and though that's not too long, but the nature of my work is intense.

On 2016. 11. 2. at 1:20 AM, day_manderly said:

something along the lines of working for one more year in my field, and though that's not too long, but the nature of my work is inte

Specifics about what you gained/did would be helpful especially if tied directly to the program's goals/ your goals. I think you want to be careful that what you say can't be boiled down to: you told me to do x so I went and did x. 

If someone were to paraphrase that section it should be closer to: I did x, as suggested, and now I'm better at y and z.

16 hours ago, DBear said:

Specifics about what you gained/did would be helpful especially if tied directly to the program's goals/ your goals. I think you want to be careful that what you say can't be boiled down to: you told me to do x so I went and did x. 

If someone were to paraphrase that section it should be closer to: I did x, as suggested, and now I'm better at y and z.

Thank you!