Please help to "decipher" a letter from the program

NeuroNerd86

Hello everyone,

I applied to a neuroscience graduate program at one school in early December, whereas their deadline is January 15th (I just really wanted to be done). Right before Christmas, I got a letter in the mail from them that said something like: "Dear NeuroNerd, although it's really early in the admissions process, we already received a positive feedback about your application. Each year we are happy to get such strong applicants like yourself blah blah blah. We take the process seriously and it spend a lot of time on applications blah blah blah. Meanwhile, congratulations on your great application and we wish you good luck in finding a great graduate program. You are already off to a good start!" I emailed their program coordinator (who is usually very responsive) asking her if this letter indicates anything but to no avail. I just don't really know what to think - is it just their way of saying "your application is under review" or should I get my hopes up a little bit? Did anyone ever get anything like this?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Edited by NeuroNerd86

I definitely understand the confusion, but besides the phrase "we wish you good luck in finding a great graduate program" (possible implication: as opposed to theirs), it seems very positive, so the implication of that phrase is probably completely unintentional. I would say getting your hopes up is called for, if you so wish (personally I'd rather resign myself to my safety school and be pleasantly surprised).

I've not been as fortunate to receive any response save the standard application complete or such and such still hasn't arrived messages.

Edited by origin415