Classes for polisci PhD prep - Econ, Stats, or Calc?

kmp34

I thinking about taking two courses at a state college before starting a polisci PhD program in the fall.

I didn't take any courses in calc, econ or stats as an undergraduate so want to catch up before starting a PhD program. (I did Area Studies...)

I need to choose two of the following three courses. Can you please tell me which ones would be most useful for polisci phd programs?

1. Economic Statistics

Use of descriptive and inferential statistical concepts for the analysis of economic data. Topics include measures of central tendency and dispersion, probability theory, discrete and continuous probability distributions, hypothesis testing, regression and correlation analysis.

2. Probability and Statistics

Frequency interpretation of probability. Axioms of probability theory. Discrete probability and combinatorics. Random variables. Distribution and density functions. Moment generating functions and moments. Sampling theory and limit theorems.

3. Calculus I

Continuous functions. Derivatives and applications including graphing, related rates, and optimization. Transcendental functions. L'Hospital's Rule. Antiderivatives. Definite integrals. Area under a curve.

I wish I could take all three but only have enough scholarship money for two. I'd appreciate your input! Thanks!

Calculus 2 is more important than Calculus 1...but you can't really skip it.

However, the econometrics course will cover some of the more important statistics while taking a calculus course can show that you can do abstract math as well...so I would go for those two.

• 2 weeks later...

economic statistics and calc 1 without a doubt. it's not even close. you're going to get probability and stats your first semester of grad school. the economic statistics and calc 1 background will make your life easier and better every semester thereafter.