Anyone else have a late transcript?

carpecc

So I'm finishing up my applications, have had my transcripts ordered and sent, got confirmation they were sent, but then got a notice from my top choice that they had not received my transcript. I immediately wrote them back, reodered my transcript, and had it expressed mailed to them.

I then realize today that I forgot to order transcripts from a semester study abroad program. I just kind of assumed that my marks from the study abroad program on my undergrad transcript would be enough, but now one of my schools is asking for it. It totally slipped my mind (I graduated eight years ago), so I went ahead and ordered study abroad transcripts for all the other programs I'm applying to.

So two questions:

Do you think the late study abroad transcripts will disqualify me?

Is there anyone out there that got into grad school despite a late transcript?

For what it's worth, I'm in a similar situation. I had some transfer credits from a community college back in the paleozoic era that I had totally forgotten about. I ordered them ASAP and the only school that cared told me that they could use what appeared on my undergrad transcript as transfer credit to evaluate my application, but they'd need the official transcripts to make any binding decisions. I imagine it will be the same for you, but you should definitely ask if you are worried about it.

Thanks for the feedback Spozik.

Yea, I hope that other schools are thinking about the same as yours. Most don't start the review process until two or more weeks after the deadline, so imagine that if they like the app, they'll probably let a mildly late transcript of a single semester of credits that don't have anything to do with the field of study slide.

I just hope that the processing doesn't take too long. I was reading one post that complained about some lazy registrar charging their card, but taking their sweet time sending the transcripts...I'll just wait and see.

I had the late transcript situation when I applied to MA problems 2 years ago, although it was due to a miscommunication at the school in question. Unfortunately, they did not let me know about this until the day AFTER the registrar had closed for winter break.

I immediately called the schools to which I was applying and told them was was going on. Most of them said it wouldn't matter if it was just one semester's worth of grades, and they were printed on my main transcript. I had 2 programs say they wouldn't consider my application if any part of it was late, though. Although, these were both the type of program that look for reasons to reject rather than accept people ("minor typo in the SOP? out..." "don't like the font choice in the writing sample? out..."). Fortunately, I hadn't submitted either of these apps yet and was able to save the fee money...still disappointing.

Oh, I got into all three of the MA schools to which I *did* end up applying. :)

Call the schools and ask.

Yesterday afternoon, I called GWU and told them about sending my transcripts, because I uploaded them but they also want me to mail them. I told them that i was not in USA and asked them if there would be some problem if the transcripts arrive after the deadline, and they told me that was not a problem if they received during January.

So everything was fine! :) and I save the dhl express order.

Anyway, I could reach Georgetown University (there is now one at the telephone in the admission office) so because of that I will send the transcripts by dhl express just in case...

In your case as in mine, communications is very important. So don’t hesitate to contact and explain them your situation.

Good luck!

I've been dealing with this a bit too, only a few of the websites state that they have my transcripts and I was panicking because the deadlines have already passed for several of the schools I applied to. The registrar at my school sent all of my transcripts out on Dec. 18th so I was confused as to why they said they didn't have them. I e-mailed the departments there and they said that they were about a month behind in processing incoming materials for applications and not to worry because they probably did have it, they just hadn't gone through it yet. After waiting a couple more days I noticed that some started to show that they had them. One still says they don't but the woman told me just to be patient so thats what I'm doing. So maybe just e-mail them and ask and if they say its OK then don't worry. My guess is that they will say its fine. :)

Edited by APHI224

Is there anyone out there that got into grad school despite a late transcript?

*waves*

Hi! I had a transcript snafu (prof submitted one person's grade early to help them meet a deadline, and didn't realize that doing so would close grade submission for the class and make everyone else's grade a few weeks late) when I was applying for my PhD. I got unofficial results out as soon as possible, ordered an extra transcript on top of the one I needed, opened and faxed the extra ahead of the one in the mail..... and got in. Lots of people have paperwork mishaps. There's probably a protocol in place, and there's probably a hard deadline that's later than the stated deadline.

Thanks guys/girls for sharing your stories, I feel a lot better. I've been spending a friggin' arm and leg on express mail, but better safe than sorry.

Luckily it looks like my transcripts should be in on time for 4 of the 5 schools I'm applying to. The fifth one is pretty competitive and probably looking for reasons to exclude my app, but luckily it's not my first choice.

I'm going to take the advice here and send some follow up emails explaining my situation just to be on the safe side.

One of my schools required two copies of each transcript--which for me meant ten total, since I went to five schools between undergrad, master's and "just for fun" classes. They ended up with nine at the deadline, as one of the copies from one of my UG schools apparently got lost. And even though they already had one official transcript from that school, I still had to get another official copy to them post haste for them to consider my app. Luckily, the grad admissions assistant was incredibly helpful through the whole process, so even though that one transcript copy was late, I wasn't disqualified.

One of mine is definitely going to be late, but I hope not so late as to attract attention - the deadline falls on a Fri and I'm hoping, god's speed to the USPS, that it will be in by Mon or Tues when they will start assembling applications. It's entirely the fault of the school that was supposed to be sending it. I sent them in a month ago (all of my other schools found this to be more than enough time to complete my request). There was some sort of accidental block on my account, and I think someone just pushed it aside on their desk meaning to get back to it, and never did. I even called, and was promised they would look into it, and would call me back if there was a problem that needed to be resolved. They didn't call back, but I also noticed they didn't take the check I'd sent....so I called again to be sure that it was just a delayed deposit on my check... Oh no. They hadn't touched it, at all. They gave me excuses about "just getting it" and "not knowing what happened" none of which really made me feel any better. I'm just hoping they mean it this time when they say they'll send it in. :angry:

None of mine were late, technically. I did, however, study abroad, and those grades are put on my main undergraduate transcript. I assumed that once they received them they would open it and see...but I now know that they don't really look at them until later. So when I sent my Fall grades I told them that my abroad grades are on that transcript. I heard back from a few, but not all schools...

Frustrating, but I don't want to send e-mail after e-mail and annoy them.

Totally in the same boat, carpecc, except that I didn't realize that I needed my study abroad transcript from about 8 years ago until today (4 days after the deadline) when I logged into my application tracking system for the grad school for the first time. My undergrad transcript shows that I attended the study abroad and received credit at my home institution for it, and I assumed that this would be sufficient. Now I'm genuinely worried sad.gif My study abroad program told me it will take at least a week for express mail to reach the States, and I can't get a hold of anyone at the grad admissions office--everything is going straight to voicemail. I will be bummed if this transcript for a 10-week language program keeps me out of this school, seriously...

Edited by fancypants09

The transcripts from my master's in the UK somehow seem to have got lost in the mail for although I received confirmation of their being sent, 6/9 schools have informed me they were missing them. Note that some of the deadlines were back in December. Well, all the adcoms officers I have been in contact with because of it have been extremely helpful and usually accept numerical copies of the transcripts for your app review, which need to be later confirmed by the official. What's more, your file may be reviewed even with a missing transcript. For instance I received a mail today from a professor at one of my top choices:

"I have reviewed your application to our Ph D program in ******** University, and I'm quite interested in it, but I could use some more information. Would it be possible for you to send me your transcript from ********* and your master's thesis?

thanks and regards,"

So really don't lose too much sleep over this but as the other posters mention, do communicate about it with the graduate admission officers who are in my experience very nice and helpful people.