NYU Data Science PhD--Do I have a chance?

Hi all,

It's been five years since I finished my MS and I want to go back to school for my doctorate. When I heard about NYU's Center for Data Science, it quickly became my first choice. However, it seems like just the MS is extremely difficult to get into. So I'm wondering if I even have a chance ...

Anyway, here's the info:

• Experience: 5 years as a data scientist. Past work involves data visualization, machine learning, applied statistics, data management/engineering, data cleaning, parameter optimization/operations research
  • Publications: None (unless internal work stuff counts) :(
  • Education:
    • BS Mathematics, well-known top-tier private school, pretty shitty GPA of 3.2,
    • MS Mathematics, virtually unknown school in the middle of nowhere, GPA 4.0, tuition and living expenses paid for by a data science research company I was interning for (not the same company I started working for after I graduated however)
  • GRE: 
    • 164 V
    • 170 Q
    • 5 W
  • Other programs I'm applying to in addition to the one at NYU (roughly in order of preference):
    • CU Boulder, Computer Science
    • Cornell, Information Science
    • UMD, Information Systems
    • UNC, Statistics and Operations Research
    • Rutgers, Statistics
    • WPI, Data Science

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

For the love of God, no! Just no! 

NYU is a diploma mill. They just have a better marketing department than your average diploma. Sure, their established programs are good (law, medicine, business, film). But good God, everything else seems like a scam to separate you from your money. Don't be a guinea pig for this program's maiden year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 8:33 AM, marmle said:

Nobody knows the chances of anyone getting accepted to NYU's Data Science PhD considering this is the first year they're accepting students.

Oh, that explains it ... Thanks for the info.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:17 AM, frogL said:

Your profile looks great to me.

have you got any update on the application?

I submitted my application about a month ago. No word so far.

I'm honestly not holding my breath or anything though. I like my current job, so if I don't get in anywhere, it's not that big of a deal (or at least that's what I'm telling myself ...). 

On 12/30/2016 at 2:29 PM, DiscoTech said:

For the love of God, no! Just no! 

NYU is a diploma mill. They just have a better marketing department than your average diploma. Sure, their established programs are good (law, medicine, business, film). But good God, everything else seems like a scam to separate you from your money. Don't be a guinea pig for this program's maiden year. 

Isn't their applied math program #1 in the world? Besides, this is for a PhD and I wouldn't be able to attend without a stipend, so if an acceptance without funding = rejection as far as I'm concerned. That said, I do hear that some of their undergrad/masters programs can be like that, but I'm not applying to those.

32 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

Isn't their applied math program #1 in the world? Besides, this is for a PhD and I wouldn't be able to attend without a stipend, so if an acceptance without funding = rejection as far as I'm concerned. That said, I do hear that some of their undergrad/masters programs can be like that, but I'm not applying to those.

If you're only going to attend if you receive a stipend, that's great. 

BTW, trusting US News to rank sub-specialities is a little bit of a gamble. They are also #29 in CS and #49 in statistics. 

3 minutes ago, DiscoTech said:

BTW, trusting US News to rank sub-specialities is a little bit of a gamble. They are also #29 in CS and #49 in statistics. 

Trusting metrics like papers per professor per top conference (like csrankings(dot)org) is probably better than USNews asking a bunch of people "where would you rank University of X?".

25 minutes ago, DiscoTech said:

Actually, yeah, I was surprised when I heard NYU had a data science program considering that their math department was known for not doing statistics. 

On 1/19/2017 at 0:42 PM, poopyhead said:

Oh, that explains it ... Thanks for the info.

I submitted my application about a month ago. No word so far.

I'm honestly not holding my breath or anything though. I like my current job, so if I don't get in anywhere, it's not that big of a deal (or at least that's what I'm telling myself ...). 

I'm holding my breath now...I'm currently an undergrad with no full-time job...

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, silveryglow said:

I received invitation to attend visit week and interview on 23rd Feb today. 

Thanks for the info. This must be the mid-February invitational event mentioned on the website.

Also, obligatory: Congrats and good luck!

Edited by poopyhead