How to deal with different application deadlines?

VerbalNotMyThing

Question

I'm applying to a few schools for Fall 2017 part-time study but saw a wide discrepancy in application deadlines. For example:

• Stanford (Computer Science): 12/6/2016
  • NYU (Data Science): 2/4/2017
  • Columbia (Statistics): 4/15/2017
  • University of Washington (Computer Science PMP): 7/1/2017

Is there even a possibility to compare offers between these three programs or would I have to sacrifice Stanford/NYU if I wanted to wait on acceptance from Columbia (hypothetical scenario)?

How have other applicants dealt with this?

Edited by VerbalNotMyThing

2 answers to this question

I took the liberty to double check those deadlines. I'm assuming it's all for Master's programs, right? Let me give you the heads up that Columbia is due 4/28, not 4/15 (but please, double check me).

I've never heard of this disparaging deadlines. Maybe it's because of PhD application cycles (usually due Dec/Jan, decisions out in Feb/March, decision making by April 15th). Actually, if you check Columbia's GSAS website, MA applications are usually due in April whereas PhDs are earlier.

I checked the 15th April resolution. Apparently, this agreement protects you from responding earlier than April 15th to fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, and training. In other words, it's for financial support, not necessarily for admission. Master's programs usually don't have the same financial aid as Doctoral programs, which may explain why the application cycle is different. Hence, it seems likely that you would be able to compare offers, unless Stanford or NYU offered financial support of some kind.

I'm sorry I cannot help any more.

For unfunded programs, my guess is that you have to deal with each offer as it comes. You submit for each deadline, and if you get an offer you ask when you need to decide by. If it's before the other programs have made a decision (but after the submission deadline), you could contact them to ask when you can expect a decision, and you can also mention that you have another offer and need to decide by date X. If you don't hear back in time or it's before the submission deadline, I don't think you have any other choice but to accept the offer you have in hand; you can't just hope things will work out if you decline. However, in the case of unfunded programs, I have no qualms saying that if you receive a better offer, I think it's totally fair to rescind from the other school (hopefully this doesn't involve any lost fees), and taking the better one. This is not advised in the case of funded offers, and that's partly why the April 15 resolution is there, but that doesn't apply to unfunded Masters programs, so the rules of the game are just different. You need to do what's best for you.