Living in a car??

arte

So something slightly irrelevent to the admissions but I'm posting anyway cause I'm sick of looking at my statement:)

I've thinking about how I'm going to pay for all the rent, tuition and everything. And thought living in a car might be a great way to save up some money.

I have a studio now and I basically come in at 9am and stay in my studio till 10pm. So that minus the commuting time, I'm only spending about 7 hrs/day at home!!! Spending $1000 on rent sounds absurd to me when all I'll be doing at that place will be sleeping.

any thoughts, experiences or suggestions?? Will I break my spine while sleeping in a car? 

Edited by arte

1 hour ago, arte said:

So something slightly irrelevent to the admissions but I'm posting anyway cause I'm sick of looking at my statement:)

I've thinking about how I'm going to pay for all the rent, tuition and everything. And thought living in a car might be a great way to save up some money.

I have a studio now and I basically come in at 9am and stay in my studio till 10pm. So that minus the commuting time, I'm only spending about 7 hrs/day at home!!! Spending $1000 on rent sounds absurd to me when all I'll be doing at that place will be sleeping.

any thoughts, experiences or suggestions?? Will I break my spine while sleeping in a car? 

I don't know which schools, in which regions, you are applying to but this sounds like not the best idea. You can damage your posture by doing this long term. Are you applying to frigid areas where there is lots of snow? Not to mention the possibility of things like Carbon Monoxide poisoning, the silent killer. If you can't afford housing talk to someone in Student Affairs, there is bound to be some assistance available. Worst case scenario crash in your studio during off hours. 

My humble advice, sometimes the expense is worth the comfort. After being in the studio for long hours, you might just need the space to relax even if it is a cheap place that you share with other Grad students. 

P.S maybe look at places where the rent is cheaper? I did undergrad in Philly rent was as low as $350 a month depending on where you stay and with how many roommates. $1000 a month is a little steep + if rent is that expensive the cost of living is probably equally as high.