Profile Evaluation PhD Biostatistics Application

deptbios

I'm applying to PhD program in Biostatistics in the US universities now as an international applicant. Could you evaluate my profile for PhD Biostatistics program?

Undergrad Institution:  Top 5 National university in my country
Major(s): Statistics

Minor(s): 
GPA: 3.72

grad Institution:  Top 3 private university in my country 
Major(s): Biostatistics
Minor(s): 
GPA: 3.90

GRE General Test:
Q: 170(97%)
V: 144(23%)
W: 4.0(59%)
IELTS Test: Overall 6.5

Program Applying: PhD in Biostatistics

Research Experience: 2 years national R&D project in master's program related to cancer. I have various research experience including project, statistical consulting in college of medicine.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: several scholarship, prize in conference
Courses: I attended most of subject in Statistics and Biostatistics, as well as Mathematics. And I almost got an A grade.  
Assistant : Teaching/Grading Assistant for 2 years in college of Medicine about biostatistics subject
Letters of Recommendation: 
-my dean, profssor in Biostatistics (Strong)
-my supervisor, professor in Biostatistics (Strong)
-professor in Epidemiology (Strong)

To be honest, because my proficiency of English may be weak, I'm trying to apply to many universities in the US.

Based on my profile, are there universities that i can get an admission, honestly?

Schools:
USC
NYU
Virginia Commonwealth
South Carolina univ
Penn State
University of Wisconsin
Indiana
University of Illinois-Chicago
University of Arizona
University of Florida
etc...

Thank you very much for your consideration in advance!

I think others will give you a better advice. But in my personal opinion, your profile seems strong. The research experience is very very important. In my university, people with some good research experience in biostatistics were able to get fellowships. They also had master degrees in statistics/Applied Mathematics, and also took a lot of graduate math courses (analysis, measure theory and probability, etc. but I guess it becomes less relevant if you are going to biostatistics).

One advice a professor told me was to see my research interests and apply to schools with active faculty working on those, and that would give you an advantage over candidates who just finished their undergraduate studies (since you already have a master, you probably have a better idea about the topics in which you want to do some research).

The low verbal score in the GRE may be a red flag though.However many programs are used to admitting students with weaker communication skills in English, maybe you could address that in your letter of intent.

I think this could be hit or miss depending on your university's perception.

If I were you, I would apply to places across the spectrum. You don't have any 'top' places in there. I wouldn't waste applications at Harvard or Washington (your GPA is probably a bit low as an international student for them). I'd suggest UNC and Emory as the "top" end of your list. Brown, Wisconsin, UCLA, and Vanderbilt would probably be good options for you too. A few places to round it out that would be decent could be Florida, Medical University of South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, and a few more from your list. 

22 hours ago, Karoku_valentine said:

Thank you for your kind evaluation. Yes, I see.  Although my English proficiency may be red flag, there are strong otherwise such as research experience. your advice is very helpful in my application. Thanks again!

15 hours ago, Biostat_student_22 said:

Thank you! Because you are student in Biostatistics PhD, your advice is really best in my concern. Considering your advice about the list in the US universitis, I'll apply to PhD program in Biostatistics. I'm looking forward to good news. Now, I think i shoud be concentrate on my SOP and writing sample. Anyway, Thank you very much!

On 11/27/2016 at 7:35 PM, Biostat_student_22 said:

I think this could be hit or miss depending on your university's perception.

If I were you, I would apply to places across the spectrum. You don't have any 'top' places in there. I wouldn't waste applications at Harvard or Washington (your GPA is probably a bit low as an international student for them). I'd suggest UNC and Emory as the "top" end of your list. Brown, Wisconsin, UCLA, and Vanderbilt would probably be good options for you too. A few places to round it out that would be decent could be Florida, Medical University of South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, and a few more from your list. 

I think Emory would be tough given the English ability. They seem to care a lot about that. In their application, they have a component where you have to record a 1:30 video about why you want to study Biostatistics.

20 minutes ago, footballman2399 said:

I think Emory would be tough given the English ability. They seem to care a lot about that. In their application, they have a component where you have to record a 1:30 video about why you want to study Biostatistics.

Yes, I see. Thus, I gave up to apply to Emory. Furthermore, Emory might not accept IELTS score. When I requested the proficiency of English, they said only TOEFL.
When I started to study Enligh, I thought that IELTS is better than TOEFL. But, it's not true.hahaha. Anyway, good point Thank you!