So why do schools need to know other schools I'm applying to anyway?

Anita

Although I haven't been in this situation, I imagine there's no harm in saying "Actually, I only applied to this program because x, y, z." It shows you're serious about this specific program as much as the field, and if they make you an offer, you'll definitely accept it. I can't really imagine any drawbacks, but maybe other people can.

The drawback that immediately comes to mind is that they might offer you a less competitive funding package.

I'd love advice on this. I'm only applying to one program, on the east coast (I'm currently in LA); if I don't get in, I have a job more or less lined up (I hope!). Now I've been told I made the first cut and invited to visit, which is exciting - but if they ask me this question, does it look bad if I answer that they're the only program I applied to? Should I try to deflect the question? I don't wnat to actually lie, eg, say something like above "a range of programs". Thoughts?

If I were you, I'd be honest and explain just what it is about the program that attracts you so much, beyond any other program. I think most faculty would be flattered and impressed that you've thought it through and are so serious and discerning about their program. Personally, I wasn't in quite the same situation, but I only applied to three programs, also preferring to work if I didn't get in. Some of the faculty I corresponded with actually expressed admiration that I wasn't so desperate to get into grad school as to loose focus on quality and personal meaningfulness.

All of my places give the same amount of funding across the board, so financial package wasn't an issue. I have difficulty imagining that such a revelation would affect funding, but I don't know much about the shady financial allotment processes....

Tufts Syndrome!

Yeah okay, that may be a little paranoid. But it could be a risk, particularly at those lower ranked schools where there is limited funding. If they see you applying to say Harvard/Yale/wherever, and they think you have a good shot of getting in there, the lower schools might reject you (or at least reject you for funding) on the assumption that you will likely choose to go to one of the higher schools. This frees up the funding to offer to a student more likely to choose their institution.

I hate the question for the very reason that I don't know how much a committee will try to guess what other schools will accept you - and then factor that into their own decision.

Also, it can be a problem declaring if applying to many schools (e.g as I have). Two possible interpretations:

1) Very committed to doing a PhD, so much so that will apply to everywhere possible and invest all that time and money in many applications to ensure a place somewhere.

2) Lacks focus, as interests are more suitable for some departments compared to others. Has not really thought the process through.

As I said, paranoid :)

Not sure if someone brought this up. If the school reviewing the app is the best of the list in what you want to research, it may possibly help. The committee may then see that the others don't really do as good a job as this program? Just a thought...

Several posts here seemed to imply that you should watch out for questions like "Have you heard back from anywhere else?" or "Are you considering any other offers right now?" from people at schools where you've already been admitted.

Is there a reason why this is more suspicious/worrisome? Would it be a better idea to let them know exactly where you've heard from and the results, or to be more coy about the matter?

Several posts here seemed to imply that you should watch out for questions like "Have you heard back from anywhere else?" or "Are you considering any other offers right now?" from people at schools where you've already been admitted.

Is there a reason why this is more suspicious/worrisome? Would it be a better idea to let them know exactly where you've heard from and the results, or to be more coy about the matter?

If you've already been accepted, I assume they'd mainly be interested so they can attempt to make a competitive offer, so I'd say do what you can to make yourself look better (only mention acceptances and not rejections, quote numbers for good offers, etc.). I was also asked questions like this when I got waitlisted, and in that situation I was told it's just the department being unsure, and wanting to see how other schools evaluated you. Basically you should just kind of consider it as another part of the application, where you're attempting to put yourself in the best light possible.