Transition to Comp Lit?

I have studied English lit nearly exclusively (just one course on French in BA) so far. That is my field and it is what I want to work in. I have had an idea for my PhD for a while now, and it involves reading American texts through the lens of the work of a French philosopher. Now I am also starting to combine this with some concepts from a French critic. One of my professors has suggested that perhaps the reading could be applied to texts that are not necessarily American by comtrasting it with the work of a 3rd French critic. 

With this in mind, I wonder whether selection committees will think I should be in comp lit, since so much of the theory I want to work with is in French. I wonder myself if maybe I should apply to Comp Lit directly. Though I have knowledge of French, I have very little foundation in the Literature and my language is very, very rusty. I don't think I would be successful if I had to take grad courses in French, and though I speak another 2 languages, I have no interest in working on their literatures for my thesis. 

So I a, basically worried about whether unis will see the emphasis on French criticism and think it will not suit a strictly English thesis. Has anyone experienced anythng like this? So much of theory is international that of course you can focus on one Lit and refer to international criticism, but does that change when so much of that criticism is in the same language? Like, if you wanted to work with Hegel, Heidegger, Schopenhauer but focus on texts from another tradition.

I can't help you for English lit programs, but from what I've gathered from my own application process is that Comp Lit would require you to have very solid knowledge of one foreign language, at least reading... So given what your apprehensions are, I'd say that, if you don't feel comfortable with French, then Comp Lit might not be right for you? Although you may be a very modest person and would be able to build a very solid proficiency rapidly if were you to study it a little more before entering the program! :D 

As far as I'm aware, the French theorists are still pretty popular in English departments. So if you primarily want to study English language literature, and just want to use French theorists, you're probably fine and even better off in an English department. Look for theory heavy departments, and take a look at staff interests. I'm sure you'll find a number of English programs that match your interests. Comp Lit departments are typically meant more for people who wanted to study literature across two or more languages. 

Thanks guys. I speak several languages but am not interested in studying their literature. If I spoke French fluently I might consider it but as my interest is in English language texts I wouldn't see much point in it.