Brooklyn College

Anybody applied to or encountered Brooklyn College's Master's program in English?

I'm considering all the factors and realizing it might be the perfect place for me, but I'm not sure how competitive they are because I can't find anything about this particular program.

@kaiphi - I actually graduated from BC with my MA in English a few years ago!  Personally, I really liked the program.  (Though, I suppose we'll see how competitive I am after this round of PhD applications, haha.)  Feel free to PM me with any questions.  I might not have all the answers, but I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can.  :)

Edited by biyutefulphlower

I'm flagging the post. I think I should build up a list of a few MAs as a "safety" plan. @biyutefulphlower I see we meet again :) Would you mind sharing a few words about the program and faculty? And telling us how selective entering the program is?

Ahhh, thank y'all so much!

At first I was listing it as a safety school but it's all so perfect:

Small college, long list of notable literary/academic alumni, bridge classes in theory and literature so I can further develop my research interests, perfect opportunity to boost my GPA and extend my academic body of work, plus it's in New York which was a very important next-step in my career path. (I also work as a writer and write for New York pubs regularly, so this would work wonderfully for my career path.) The campus is actually very close to my Brooklyn friends and fav bookstores, in fact!

So now it's my goal program. 

Have you checked funding? (Sorry I'm using you, I just thought I'd ask before I get the chance to look it up myself)

From what you're saying it seems to be the perfect fit!

Hi @kaiphi and @Yanaka - so, long story short, I was a commuter student at BC, while working part time back at home in New Jersey.  Here are a couple quick points that I thought may be of interest, but let me know if you want anything more specific:

• When I applied to BC, I actually applied for an MFA.  But, in viewing my application, they thought I would be better suited for an MA program and offered me a spot in said program.  It has always impressed me that they looked so carefully at my materials and, in a way, saw something in me that I didn't see in myself at the time.
  • I chose to finish the program in 2 years (which I found very doable), but I know there are some others who decided to take a bit longer.  Of the dome, I think you have a max of 3 years to finish, but you should double check me on that.
  • I was pleased by the caliber of the faculty.  I did my undergraduate work at Cornell and I didn't feel that the professors were lacking compared to what I had already experienced.  (For example, I think my thesis advisor was just great.  He works in animal studies, post-humanism, and medieval studies, if that's of any interest to you.)  There are also a wide range of expertise in the program, so if the MA is acting as a bit of a stepping stone, it's a good place to stretch your wings and try out new realms of study.  It's where I discovered comic studies, after all, and now that's just taken over my life, haha.
  •  I paid for the program (no funding on my end), but in the grand scheme of things, it was not the most expensive, especially if you plan on becoming a New York resident. 

All in all, I had a very good experience, minus my 2 hour commute one way.  (I got a lot of reading done, haha).  It's right off the 2-train, so it's accessible, and the campus is nice to be on if you need to kill time. 

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hi @biyutefulphlower (love your pseudonym)!

Thanks for the very helpful reply! I'm not considering non-funded programs for now, like AT ALL haha. But the school seems great, especially if you were coming from Cornell and did not find any change in the caliber, as you said. 

6 minutes ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Awe, thanks @Yanaka!  My name actually means 'beautiful flower', so it's a play on that (and my quirkiness, hehe).

Oh you're actual name translates to beautiful flower? Smart! And quirky is so cool.