How easy/hard is it to mess up the interview INVITE?

palindrome

So I was just getting ready to go out the door this morning when I received a call from a strange number. I lost my phone a few months back and there are lots of people whose numbers I don't have, so I thought nothing of it and picked up.

A professor started identifying himself, said that they hadn't made any decisions yet but my application was very strong and that they'd like to invite me to interview in February.

I was incredibly nervous and caught off guard (I really didn't expect to hear from this program except for a rejection notice!) and I talked for 50 minutes, babbling kind of inarticulately and not very insightfully. The professor had told me during the conversation that some other people (the grad coordinator and three or four other professors) would contact me later today...but I have not received anything yet.

I know that maybe they haven't gotten around to it, but is it possible to mess up so much during an invitation to interview that they change their minds?

Edited by palindrome

no i dont think you messed up. he may have understood you were nervous.... its quite understandable. i would contact admissions tomorrow if you have not heard yet

Thanks. Just an update: the next day I emailed the secretary and received an email with the invitation. I also emailed the professor a thank-you note. He replied pretty tersely but politely. I never heard from the other professors he said would contact me.

Did I mess up? I guess I'll find out when I go to this interview weekend...

Edited by palindrome

Did I mess up? I guess I'll find out when I go to this interview weekend...

Yeah, I would reserve judgment until then. A lot of things could be going on. Professors are busy and don't always follow through. Even if you did mess up, the best thing you can do now is probably not dwell on it and try to make the best impression you can going forward.