Anyone applying to Yale?

meghanmetier

I'm working on applying to Hunter, Pratt, SMFA and Tyler. I don't think my portfolio is strong enough to even get interviewed for Yale, but I study a lot of Anoka Faruqee and she is a tenured prof there, it'd be amazing to learn under her. Should I bother and pay the application fee?

If you have the confidence to apply to any of those schools above then what scares you about Yale? I don't mean to sound harsh, just the baggage, history and politics of Yale, Tyler, Hunter, wherever you apply has very little to do with your work. I'd say if you are thinking about those schools above why not Yale? 

Frankly speaking, it's not that Tyler (or Hunter or SMFA) accepts any less of a student than Yale. I did my undergrad at Tyler so I maybe a bit partial but Tyler had excellent students, professors and facilities, a few of whom were grads or affiliated with Yale. 

(I feel like a dick saying this) I think the question should be whether or not you are ready for grad school rather than whether your work is ready for Yale. Consider why is grad school important at this time in your life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yale, Columbia and UCLA, etc tend to reject applicants that get into other top program. Often times the only rejections a person will receive will be from one of those 3 programs.  Honestly reviewing these schools students work compared to other 'seemly' less selective top programs, there no major difference in the quality of work.  It's not that school admission process is "tougher" but the pool of applicants is just way larger. So when someone says, "their not sure..."  it usually means their not sure if there work can compete with an additional 400 or 300 applications. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...