How to ask for a volunteering position in a resreach lab when you're not exactly interested in the resreach topic?

JustHopefulMe

Question

Hi everyone.

Hope you are all doing well with your applications :)

I am a non-degree seeking student at this Research University looking for research positions. I actually started a PhD program last fall at this same institution but had to take medical leave (then eventually got kicked out because my condition didn't imporove within the timeframe they gave me. True story).

I decided to buy time by applying to the MS program at this same university, only to be told by the program director that if I don't find a research lab wiling to take me into their group, he will not be able to offer me admission to the MS program either.

My plan is now just to leave the place and look for somewhere else and start fresh. However, given my credentials (I have 2 really bad grades on my transcript, to which my medical condition has contributed a lot. All other grades are either an A or A-, though), I cannot guarantee that I'll be accepted at a new place. To improve my CV and possibly my chances of admission, I decided to volunteer in any lab at my current institution to gain some more research experience and also prove myself to the faculty here, so that If I don't get accepted at another university, I can discuss the potential of me staying here as an officially admitted MS (or hopefully PhD) student.

The problem is all the labs I'm interested have said they don't have any positions, and for some reason, I cannot get myself to write an e-mail asking for a volunteering position in just any other lab. I'm finding it very hard to show/express interest in someone's research when I'm really not that enthusiastic about it. Sure, it is related to my field of interest, and if I had no other option in the world, I wouldn't mind studying that topic at all. Also, the techniques I could potentially learn can be applied to study things I'm interested in. But at this point, I just hard for me to say I'm interested in XYZ when I'm really not. All I want is some research experience. That's all.

I thought maybe I could just speak in general terms: I'm interested in (insert name of broad field that includes my interests and the potential PI's), but that makes me look clueless, not serious enough, and probably even insincere.

Also, I don't know how to identify myself: former PhD student? Prospective MS student? Wouldn't that on its own raise question marks and make the PI even more reluctant to give a positive response?

I don't know. I'm just lost and confused and would appreciate any input.

2 answers to this question

Yikes what a pickle and I'm sorry your program wasn't more supportive while you dealt with an illness you didn't ask for.  Hopefully your health has improved and that won't be an issue in the future.  While I haven't been in your shoes I struggled to gain research experience before getting into a PhD program because I was a nontraditional student.  My undergrad wasn't research heavy and I opted for a completely different path after graduation.  I later went into a non-research focused Masters and surprised myself by becoming interested in research then.  

Even though I had my own interests I had to let go of wanting to jump right into them because any professor I found with a research lab didn't have to take me on as a volunteer.  Sure unpaid labor is great, but their first priority is to their own graduate students and then to create opportunities for undergrads in their department.  I opted to be honest about my goal being to gain basic experience, regardless of topic, because those skills would be transferable.  I made it clear that their work was interesting, just not specifically what I wanted to make a career of.  I also focused on the fact that I was there because I truly wanted to be, not because of a class requirement or extra credit.  I had a full time job with solid advancement options and plenty of things to occupy my spare time, yet I was choosing to learn more about research.  

I also took any possible concerns about my being older off the table by reiterating that I wanted to learn everything I could even if it was grunt work.  I could relate to the undergrads in terms of inexperience and had no problem being supervised by grad students who were younger than me.   I also didn't mention the possibility of asking for an LOR.  I figured I would wait until things were going well and I officially decided to apply before asking.  I went through several professors (at my institution, nearby institutions, in my field, out of my field) before finding one that was in an interdisciplinary lab that was willing to let me volunteer.  Once I was in then I did what was necessary so no one regretted taking me on and I learned quite a bit.

So in your case I would say be honest, but don't downplay or complain about their work.  Think of all of the things about you they might consider red flags......getting booted from your program.....possibly applying to and being accepted at another program.......your health problems returning......etc......and find a way to reduce that concern.  Also don't feel limited to your former department at your former institution because research skills are transferable and the willingness to forge your own path when the traditional one is closed to you will make you stand out.  Be flexible and willing to meet their needs and be grateful for whatever opportunity you're given. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

I opted to be honest about my goal being to gain basic experience, regardless of topic, because those skills would be transferable.  I made it clear that their work was interesting, just not specifically what I wanted to make a career of.  I also focused on the fact that I was there because I truly wanted to be, not because of a class requirement or extra credit.  I had a full time job with solid advancement options and plenty of things to occupy my spare time, yet I was choosing to learn more about research

Thank you! This is very, very helpful :) I think the best way is to be candid about why I want to be in a particular lab. There is nothing wrong trying to learn new things after all. I spoke to one my professors yesterday and he told me just that. He said any lab experience, no matter how irrelevant, is better than no lab experience at all, and that showing the desire to learn is actually a good thing that can work for my advantage even when applying to other schools.

I also didn't mention the possibility of asking for an LOR.  I figured I would wait until things were going well and I officially decided to apply before asking.

I'm thinking the same way too. One of my other goals besides gaining research experience is networking. I really feel the need for a group of people support me and guide me in my in academic/research pursuit. They may not necessarily be LOR writers, but if all goes well, this can be a plus.

So in your case I would say be honest, but don't downplay or complain about their work.  Think of all of the things about you they might consider red flags......getting booted from your program.....possibly applying to and being accepted at another program.......your health problems returning......etc......and find a way to reduce that concern.  Also don't feel limited to your former department at your former institution because research skills are transferable and the willingness to forge your own path when the traditional one is closed to you will make you stand out.  Be flexible and willing to meet their needs and be grateful for whatever opportunity you're given. 

I am going to meet with someone from the Career Services Center at my current place to discuss these issues with them. Hopefully, they could give me some helpful advice as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings and reply :)