Applyweb issues

Hey guys, I just submitted an app via applyweb and I noticed when I used the 'preview' function to check my SoP and writing sample some words had gone missing. Literally just blank spaces where words should be. It was a problem in both PDF and Word. I'm hoping its just an issue on Applyweb and I've emailed the grad office to ask them to check if everything came through okay but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

I didn't have this exact issue, but the formatting on my CV got messed up. I think it's good that you contacted the program. They'll probably allow you to submit it through email if the issue exists on their side as well.

Program I applied to through ApplyWeb had a similar issue. Fortunately for me the Grad. Program Dir. was browsing applicants which caught her eye and sent me an email letting me know of the issue and I was able to resend my C.V. and writing sample.

Okay I received a reply from an admin which said yes there are blanks in your application but its 'complete enough' to do. This is completely unacceptable to me, I've been working on these materials for months and I'm an English major for christ's sake. A missing word is a fairly slopping proofreading error. Does anyone have any advice on what do do? Politely ask the admin to reattach the docs via email? Go over their head and email the director of admissions? I don't want to seem like a pain but... MONTHS of work! I proofed those materials so many times and I can recite the first four pages of my writing sample by heart! (and possibly more, I've just never been bothered continuing for longer than that)

:angry: ... :(

8 minutes ago, Caien said:

Okay I received a reply from an admin which said yes there are blanks in your application but its 'complete enough' to do. This is completely unacceptable to me, I've been working on these materials for months and I'm an English major for christ's sake. A missing word is a fairly slopping proofreading error. Does anyone have any advice on what do do? Politely ask the admin to reattach the docs via email? Go over their head and email the director of admissions? I don't want to seem like a pain but... MONTHS of work! I proofed those materials so many times and I can recite the first four pages of my writing sample by heart! (and possibly more, I've just never been bothered continuing for longer than that)

:angry: ... :(

Oh. Yeah. No, you've got to make sure they get your materials as you intend them.

I think you should contact the DGS. Be very polite, and just focus on the issue itself. The other admissions folks are just doing their jobs, and they may not have a firm handle on the ramifications of a "complete enough" application...but the DGS will. Just say that it seems to be a technical issue beyond your control, but you want the admissions committee to get the best picture of you possible, which is contingent upon a complete, gap-free application.

Good luck!!

Just updating for any future panicky applicants that may be reading this thread. After being passed around between different admin people (the director of grad studies passed me back to the original admin who blew me off :() and eventually being told to go to applyweb themselves, it looks as though the files are fine but the viewing tool in applyweb is buggy. As I have a few apps in via applyweb I've contacted the different schools, some of which say there is no problem, some of which are seeing the missing words. None of this is very reassuring.

At this point I'm just hoping they all download the files to read them rather than skimming in the system on the first run through, because regardless of what the first admin person says, missing words is not a small issue.

3 hours ago, Caien said:

Just updating for any future panicky applicants that may be reading this thread. After being passed around between different admin people (the director of grad studies passed me back to the original admin who blew me off :() and eventually being told to go to applyweb themselves, it looks as though the files are fine but the viewing tool in applyweb is buggy. As I have a few apps in via applyweb I've contacted the different schools, some of which say there is no problem, some of which are seeing the missing words. None of this is very reassuring.

At this point I'm just hoping they all download the files to read them rather than skimming in the system on the first run through, because regardless of what the first admin person says, missing words is not a small issue.

Thanks so much for this update! 

Has anyone run into the issue of some materials not showing up in the "review/proof" stage right before submission? For my application to Vanderbilt, on the writing sample page it shows that the file attached successfully, but when it shows me a preview of the whole app on the review page, those pages are simply missing even though my statement, CV, and transcripts are all there. Have tried getting in touch with Vanderbilt, but haven't gotten a response yet! I'm not sure if their system is ApplyWeb or something else. I may try calling the grad office over lunch to ask for advice?

Is it saying that you have writing samples or SoPs 'Missing' @othersamantha? In my Columbia app it wouldn't let me submit as I had clicked the box to be considered for the MA, so there was a requirement to upload a sample and statement for my 'second choice program'. I just uploaded the same sample and sop as I did for the PhD and it went through then.

Also, if it was apply web you would know. Apply web makes itself known.

17 hours ago, tvethiopia said:

Thanks so much for this update! 

Another update: at one school the words are missing even when the file is downloaded 

Edited by Caien

18 minutes ago, Caien said:

Also, if it was apply web you would know. Apply web makes itself known.

Haha, thank you! I called the graduate assistant who confirmed that the writing sample had been successfully uploaded, and said that this was a glitch in the "preview" function that some other applicants had experienced as well! I guess it wasn't an ApplyWeb problem after all...