Materials Science and Engineering Fall 2017 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

10 hours ago, NanoLover said:

Can anyone admitted share some background information?

Undergrad Institution: Tech school
Major(s): Materials Engineering
Minor(s): Electrical Engineering
GPA in Major: Something like a 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.72
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 161
W: 5.0

Research Experience: 3 years including one summer at my institution. No publications. A couple poster presentations with one award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Two summers of internships, 1 semester TA. Lots of campus involvement

@meggied A professor from Vanderbilt called me yesterday to discuss my interest in a specific TA position. He said that no decisions have been made yet, but they should start sending out decisions possibly starting next week (no exact date though). I have a pretty strong connection to Vanderbilt because I did an REU there, so that might be why I was contacted early (though it's not a guarantee, the professor was just gauging my interest). I wouldn't get to worked up if you don't see any results posted in the next week or two because they might delay it further.  

51 minutes ago, Fishys said:

@meggied A professor from Vanderbilt called me yesterday to discuss my interest in a specific TA position. He said that no decisions have been made yet, but they should start sending out decisions possibly starting next week (no exact date though). I have a pretty strong connection to Vanderbilt because I did an REU there, so that might be why I was contacted early (though it's not a guarantee, the professor was just gauging my interest). I wouldn't get to worked up if you don't see any results posted in the next week or two because they might delay it further.  

Thanks! I just kept getting those emails saying they were still in the process of reviewing applications and that decisions would come out soon and thought it was strange that they hadn't come out yet. 

On 2/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, jm1328 said:

Hey guys,

Also a bit late here.

Accepted to: Northwestern, UIUC, UW Madison, RPI, Carnegie Mellon, and Cornell

On 2/7/2017 at 2:54 PM, tookanapple said:

A little late to the game.

Received acceptance from: UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, Yale, Rice, Northwestern, and Carnegie Mellon

Still waiting to hear from: Caltech and Harvard

Hey there, 

When did you each hear from Northwestern? I am playing the most awful of waiting games right now, as they are my final school... Additionally, do you know when visiting week is?

(Accepted: UC Davis, CSU, Georgetown || Rejected: U Washington)

Edited by octahedral93

11 hours ago, octahedral93 said:

Hey there, 

When did you each hear from Northwestern? I am playing the most awful of waiting games right now, as they are my final school... Additionally, do you know when visiting week is?

(Accepted: UC Davis, CSU, Georgetown || Rejected: U Washington)

Received news 01/27

Visits are 03/11 and 04/01

Way late here...

Accepted: Boise State

Rejected: UCB

Waiting: WashU, UCSB, UCR (had phone interview), UCSD, GaTech (attending recruitment event), UMN Twin Cities, BU, UT Knoxville (Energy Science, upcoming interview)

Undergrad Institution: Well-respected public master's university
Major(s): Materials Engineering
Minor(s): Physics
GPA in Major: 3.47
Overall GPA: 3.41
Position in Class: Top 25%
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164
V: 159
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 1 year of experience at school with 1 pending publication, 1 REU and 2 semester-long internships at national labs

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Alpha Sigma Mu Honor Society member

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor for one year, officer of two clubs in my department, outreach volunteering for elementary and middle schoolers

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Lead author of pending paper

Special Bonus Points: Completed classes in three years, doing internships to fulfill senior thesis

Whoever got an admit from USC, have you interviewed with them? 

Invited to UCR Materials open house on March 10. No word on admittance/funding just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news? Anyone still waiting for a decision from schools?

The only one I am waiting on is USC, their graduate admissions department misplaced my transcripts, so I am not even sure they've reviewed my application at all. @RanaYekani have you heard back from USC?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do grad schools do orientation/ admitted student events?

Also if you're admitted and want to visit before accepting or to visit and haven't visited before, do they help out with the cost of travel a bit (gas, plane ticket etc)?

Thanks!

On 12/21/2016 at 0:50 PM, ercofell said:

Applying to Where:
University of Minnesota, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Columbia, University of Washington, some international schools

@ercofell Hey have you heard back from University of Washington yet? They said it could be as late as early May that they send out acceptances......

Edited by I Think I can