Notre Dame Interview weekend

phd_aspirant

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have applied to a handful of PhD programs in Moral Theology/Theological Ethics, etc. Of my top 3 (UVA, Princeton, Notre Dame) only ND has an interview weekend. Two questions:

anyone know when Notre Dame will notify the invites?

anyone know how Notre Dame handles that finalist weekend? (that is, what goes into it and such).

many thanks!

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have applied to a handful of PhD programs in Moral Theology/Theological Ethics, etc. Of my top 3 (UVA, Princeton, Notre Dame) only ND has an interview weekend. Two questions:

anyone know when Notre Dame will notify the invites?

anyone know how Notre Dame handles that finalist weekend? (that is, what goes into it and such).

many thanks!

In previous years, it looks like they normally notified finalists in early February for interviews in late February. I imagine it's a similar timeline this year, but I don't know any official information. Good luck with your applications!

• 2 weeks later...

To be more specific, I just discovered the department calendar on their website! (How did I miss this before?)

Thursday Jan. 21: Review of PHD applications begin

Thursday-Wednesday Jan 28-Feb 3: PHD Area Admissions Meetings

Friday – Saturday Feb. 26-27: PHD Admissions Weekend

I just had a phone call from Notre Dame!!! I've been invited to interview for History of Christianity, February 26th-28th! VERY excited, very happy!!! Good luck to everyone else. I know how nerve-wracking this whole process can be...

Edited by Febronia

According to the Notre Dame Spring Calendar, the CJA area faculty met today from 4:30pm-6:30pm. At about 5:00pm I passed the room where this meeting was held and looked in the window...

There were roughly four or five faculty around a large table. There was a large box on the table out of which were protruding several files. It appeared that the faculty were passing around a bottle of wine while they were talking. I believe this was the CJA area admissions meeting, and, if so, then it seems decisions were made over red wine.

Got the call too; moral theology finalist. Very happy, excited, and nervous! I know next to nothing about how this works: what percentage of finalists make the final cut, what kind of conversations you have, etc. Advice wanted!

My understanding is that they typically interview about twice as many people as they accept; that it's a lot of meet-and-greets with the faculty, other candidates, and current Ph.D students; and that the whole thing is pretty relaxed (or, as relaxed as it can be). Virtually all of the faculty that I know here are incredibly nice, and I can't imagine them setting out to deliberately intimidate you. As to the interviews themselves, I'm not sure. I think faculty pick whom to interview based on whom they'd be working with/whom they want to get a sense of.